31-Give Me the Weekend

As soon as my uninvited guests left the house, I returned to what was left of my lunch. I couldn't help, but notice the cocky smile on Amir's face as he sipped his wine and watched me eat.

Part of me is irritated that he's found a reason to extend our time together. Another part of me is happy for the opportunity.  He makes me feel things that I haven't felt in years. Maybe, I've never felt this way and it's comforting and at the same time, it's scary. I know we have an expiration date and I don't know how I'm going to feel when we go our separate ways.  

I look up to find Amir staring into my eyes with an expression of concern. He picks up my hand laces his fingers through mine. "I feel like you're slipping away.  You are sitting right across the table from me, but I feel like I'm losing you. What are you thinking about?"

I need to be honest with him and remind him that our arrangement is temporary. I take a sip of wine for courage and reply, "it feels like a so much has happened. I want to make sure that we're both on the same page. I enjoy spending time with you. I'm glad that we're having dinner together tonight. Tomorrow, wine tasting will be fun.  We'll enjoy ourselves at Sunday dinner.   On Monday, we need to go back to being colleagues."

"You keep telling me all of the reasons that we can't be together. I know you feel this connection between us. It's something that rare. I've never felt this way about someone after such a short period of time. Instead of pushing me away, have you thought about giving us a real shot? We could be so good together."

I open my mouth to respond, but I'm saved by the sound of the doorbell. I excuse myself and answer the door for the appliance delivery man. As I walk the vendor to the kitchen, I think about Amir's question.

Have I thought about what it would be like to pursue something with Amir? I haven't allowed myself that luxury. There are just too many reasons that it wouldn't work. I can't fantasize about some sort of relationship with Amir when there are too many obstacles in the way. I don't want to disappoint myself by getting excited about a future that won't ever exist.

I return to the kitchen while my dishwasher is installed. I try to straighten up the mess in my kitchen while talking with Amir.  I feel grateful for the distraction. The interruption was enough to shift our discussion to lighter subjects. 

 The appliance installer is older and very friendly. He seems eager to join our conversation while he works.We talk about general subjects until the installer begins telling me about his upcoming 30th wedding anniversary. Amir joins my side leaning against the counter and slipping an arm around my waist. 

 By the time the dishwasher is installed, we've received highlights of thirty years of marriage. They include good times and a lot of challenges, but it's obvious that this man is hopelessly in love with his wife. I sneak a peek at Amir and notice him staring at me with a dreamy expression on his face.

As the installer prepares to leave, he turns to us and says, "It's so wonderful to see a young couple, so deeply in love. You remind me so much of my wife and myself. Don't ever take what you have for granted. It's rare and special."

He leaves us with that thought as he lets himself out the front door. I'm speechless, but Amir pulls me into an embrace and tells me, "He's a smart man. We should follow his advice. He seems to know what he's talking about."

I look into his eyes and tell him, "There are a million reasons why it won't work. We've talked about it."

"No, you've told me how you feel. You haven't given me a chance to change your mind. Promise me that you will keep an open mind this weekend and give us a chance. If you don't want to pursue a personal relationship after this weekend, we can go back to being colleagues. All I want is a chance to change your mind."

"OK. I'll try, but I can't make any promises." I look into Amir's eyes and they are dark with lust. I feel him pull my body against his and excitement runs through me. I can't seem to resist the power that he has over my body. My breath quickens and my heart begins racing.

Amir gently kisses my neck. He whispers, "I think we should find a room with privacy from unexpected guests."

I try to give him a sultry smile. "I agree."