33-The Beat of His Heart

Plans for an early dinner were delayed. It took hours to get ready to leave. By the time, we were ready to walk out the door, I was famished.

The lag had nothing to do with dressing up or spending a ton of time on my hair and makeup. Leaving the house, I didn't look much better than I did at the beginning of the day. I dressed in a pair of leggings and basic summer sweater with sandals. My hair was pulled into a simple ponytail with the minimum amount of makeup needed to look presentable while grabbing take out and a few groceries from the market.

Leaving the house quickly hadn't been high on Amir's priority list and I didn't complain. What I realized this afternoon is that I have very little control when it comes to Amir. We barely made it to the privacy of the second floor of my home before he took me against a wall in my hallway. It was spontaneous and sexy. That performance was followed by several encores in bed and the shower.

Amir seems to have an unending supply of desire for me. I feel the same about him and it excites and scares me to feel something so intense for a man.

I remind myself that I am just living in a bubble this weekend. I'm taking a vacation from all my normal responsibilities. I'm allowed to lose myself in my desires and enjoy my time with Amir. This vacation from reality is temporary and I deserve to enjoy it.

I lock my front door and walk toward Amir's rental car. He stands next to the luxury car ready to open the passenger door for me. His eyes twinkling with delight and smile emerging from his lips. "Your carriage awaits."  

"What makes you think that I'll let you drive? You don't even know where we're going."

"My mom raised me to be a gentleman. You won't let me take you to a nice restaurant tonight. The very least that you can do is let me drive you to pick up the food. Besides, I'm sure you're a great co-pilot. I'll follow your directions."

"You have some very old-fashioned ideas about gender roles. There is nothing wrong with a woman driving."

"No, there's nothing wrong with a woman driving. I love that you're independent, but I want to take care of you and make you feel special. I don't think that will ever go out of style."

"Fine. You can drive tonight, but tomorrow's my turn."

I slide into the passenger seat and he closes my door. Amir navigates the neighborhood without any direction and we approach the gate. We briefly stop to drop off a tin of goodies at the gate for the security guards and then continue to the restaurant to pick up our order.

After parking the car, I convince Amir that it would be fastest to split up. Amir walks to the restaurant to pick up dinner and I head to the market to pick up some snacks and stuff for breakfast. My cart is nearly full when I hear my name being called. Turning toward the sound of the voice, my stomach dropped as I come face to face with Kyle.  Crap.

"Hi, Kyle. How are you doing?" I say as I try to paint a fake smile on my face. It's been a month since I've last seen him and things aren't any less uncomfortable.

"The summer is going great. We've been staying busy. I've been teaching the kiddo to drive the boat. So, we've spent every weekend on the lake. We would love to have you and the boys join us." The invitation sounds casual, but the look on his face is intense and a little desperate.

I smile and push my grocery cart forward a step. "I'm sure the boys would love to spend some time on the lake this summer, but they're out of town right now. We'll get the kids together when they're back. It was great seeing you."

Before I could roll my cart forward, Kyle reaches for my hand. "I wish that we could all spend time together again."

I pull my hand back and place it on the handle of the cart, desperately trying to think of what to say next. I have no interest in getting involved with Kyle again, but I don't want to hurt his feelings.