42-The Ice Melts

I should be enjoying my vacation with my family, but it's been tough. We are staying at the family estate of my sister's latest boyfriend, but I'm not in the mood to enjoy myself.

I glance out the window at the impressive pool deck. The kids are in some type of splashing war. My mom is relaxing in a lounge chair and trying to ignore that her boho chic sundress is almost completely soaked. Right before my eyes, another battle erupts and water flies everywhere.

After a final splash from Jace, my mom moves to another chair further from the pool and starts reading a book. I'm sure it's her attempt to ignore their ridiculous behavior instead of telling them to knock it off. I know that I should go outside and referee this water war. I could keep her company on the pool deck, but then I would have to tell my mom what's wrong. She's been trying to corner me all day, but I've managed to evade her interrogation attempts.

My thoughts are interrupted by a loud rendition of American Girl as my sister, Trinity enters the room wearing a tiny, blue bathing suit with her blonde hair piled high on her head in a messy bun. Her smoky hazel eyes glimmer with mischief as she suppresses a giggle. "They seem to be having fun out there getting mom soaked. Why don't you go out and join them?"

I shrug and try to give her a weak smile. "I don't think I am up to it right now. Maybe, I'll join them a little later."

With a determined look on her face, she stalks across the room toward me. "What's up with you? You've been in a funk ever since we picked you up from the airport. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer."

I avoid her eyes and glance out the window. "It's nothing. I'm fine."

Trinity wraps her arms around me and pulls me into a warm embrace. "Don't lie to me. I know what you look like when you're upset and trying to hide your feelings. I saw what you went through after your injury. I watched Scott torment you in high school. I was young, but I wasn't blind. Misery didn't look good on you then and it still doesn't. Tell why you look like someone kicked your puppy."

"You wouldn't understand. It's complicated." I say with a sigh.

"So, there's a guy involved. I know you only think of me as your baby sister, but I'm all grown up. You can talk to me about guys. I'm almost thirty and I know a thing or two about the subject."

"Fine. There is a guy and I'm not sure how I feel about him, but it doesn't matter. I work with him, so I can't date him. End of story."

She suddenly bursts out laughing. "OMG, is that the only problem? You are acting like someone peed in your cornflakes because you don't want to date someone you work with?"

"You wouldn't understand. I can't date him." I shift away from Trinity and try to look out the window to avoid her stare. "He has this really important position in our company. It would be a conflict of interest. People would gossip. If things didn't work out, I would have to work with him forever. It would be a nightmare."

Trinity motions to the room around her. "Ummm. You are currently staying at the estate of one of the most respected families in country music. I'm dating country royalty. As nice as it is hanging out Donnie's famous family, the situation isn't helping my career. His parents might own a record label, but they aren't sending any contracts my way. They don't play favorites when it comes to business, but that won't matter everyone in the industry. When I finally make it, people are going to talk. They are going to say that I got my big break by sleeping my way to the top. It kills me that dating Donnie might hurt my reputation, but I'm willing to take that chance to find happiness. So, what's your problem, Sis?"

"It's not just the fact that we work together. I can't date anyone right now. It's only been a couple of years since David died. The kids aren't ready to see me dating again. I need to do what's best for them."

"So, the best thing for them is for their mom to live like a nun. I'm sure that you are super fun to live with when you're lonely and miserable." Trinity leads me to the to the couch and forces me to take a seat. "Look, I loved David. He wasn't related by blood, but he always treated me like his little sister. David was always there for me. After Grandpa died, he took me to every father-daughter event at school. When I was homecoming queen, he escorted me onto the football field to collect my crown. David was at Mom's house to meet every one of my dates in high school. He made sure that I always had a good guy in my life and for that, I will be forever grateful."

"Exactly. David is irreplaceable and I'm not going to drag a bunch of random guys into my life. It's not fair to his memory and it's not fair to my family."

"Ok. Hold on one second. David was a wonderful guy and we all loved him. That doesn't mean that your family isn't supportive of you trying to be happy again. I don't think we are talking about you dating every single guy in Napa. It sounds like there is one guy that you're interested in. Take a chance and see if he makes you happy. If you are happy, the kids will be happy. They love you and so do I." Trinity pulls me into another hug and I feel the wall of ice surrounding my heart start to melt.