38-You Need to Believe

Amir's P.O.V.

I walk next to Alyssa and she doesn't comment on my statement. I have a feeling that I pushed her past her comfort zone and she doesn't know what to say. I know that I need to lighten the mood or I'm going to lose her to her fear of dating.

"I don't think I've ever hung out in a barn before. A country girl like you is going to have to tell me what to expect," I say giving her a wink.

Alyssa smiles, "Don't worry city boy, it's not the type of barn you are imagining." She motions for me to enter through the partially open barn doors.

I step inside and find large, crystal chandeliers hanging high over our heads from huge wood beams. The lightly stained hardwood floors perfectly match the varnished wood planks that make up the walls. The barn is massive and seems strangely empty. In the center of the room is an enormous banquet table complete with tablecloth and dozens of place settings for an elegant party. Beyond the table is a large and unique bar created from the wood of wine barrels. Every inch of the space is rustic but classy.

"Wow. It's not what I expected. Now, I understand why your friends hang out in the barn."

"Staci and Keith host industry events here and occasionally rent it for private parties and weddings. This space comes in handy when we get together as a group, but you haven't seen the best part." She hints with a smile. I follow her up the staircase to an enclosed loft area filled with guys spread across multiple overstuffed couches watching sports on a big screen TV.

Alyssa turns, "Welcome to Keith's man-cave. I'll introduce you to the guys."

I spot Alex right away. He gets up from the couch, shakes my hand and quietly says hello. Lily seems to have fallen asleep and is resting her little head against my chest. He gently lifts his daughter from my arms and takes her twin from Alyssa before returning to the couch to watch the game with both girls draped over him.

Alyssa turns to her right and introduces me to Keith who offers me a cold beer. He encourages Alyssa to rejoin her friends in the kitchen. After Alyssa leaves, Keith introduces me to rest of the men in the room. The room is filled with roughly a dozen guys. His friends seem to come from all different backgrounds and have a variety of careers. Several of them went to school with Keith and Staci, but most of them met through their kids.

I take a seat on one of the couches between Alex and Derrick. Derrick is a big, bulky guy and takes up a good portion of the couch. He's dressed conservatively, but some tribal tattoos on his arms contrast with his mocha skin to give him a bit of an edgy look. I learn that Derrick is a Detective in the San Francisco PD, volunteers as a football coach and has been dating Kayla for a couple of years. He seems to have a good relationship with Kayla's son and started coaching football to spend more time with him. He seems like a cool guy.

After watching the game for a few minutes, Derrick turns to me and says, "Did you know that you are the first guy that Alyssa has brought to Sunday dinner since her husband died?"

"No, I had no idea. I thought she dated that Kyle guy a few months ago."

"She did, but Alyssa never brought him to Sunday dinner. Keith and Staci couldn't stand him. I don't know him personally, but he doesn't have a lot of supporters in this group."

I pause and take a sip of my beer. "I met Kyle at the store last night. He seemed like an ass and was trying to push Alyssa into giving him a second chance. Do you think I should worry?"

"Nah. Alyssa is stubborn. Once she makes up her mind, she won't let someone push her into something she doesn't want to do. Alyssa takes her time and puts a lot of thought into her decisions. You can influence her while she is thinking about it. Once she makes a decision, it's final. There is no going back."