30- Our Work Here is Done

His compliments make me feel like a teenager. It's silly that he has this effect on me. I'm sure my cheeks are bright red and I want to look away, but I can't seem to break eye contact. I am lost in the depths of his eyes.

For a moment, I stand in my doorway with his warm arms wrapped around me. I shiver slightly and he pulls me closer. He stares at my lips and begins to lower his lips to meet mine. The moment is perfect until hear Holden calling my name from the back door.

I panic knowing that Holden will come barreling around the corner any minute. I can't let him see Amir on my doorstep. I grab Amir's hand and pull him into my office. It's just steps from the front door and the closest room with a door.

"I'm sorry. I didn't expect you. Take a seat for a few minutes. I need to show someone out. I'll be back soon." I see confusion and then hurt cross his face, but I don't have time to address it.

I walk out of the office closing the door behind me and see Holden headed in my direction. I let out a sigh of relief.

Holden looks around. "Wow. The house looks nice. The carpet looks like new. Did everyone leave?"

"Yes, they wrapped everything up a little while ago. They did a great job." I look up and smile at Holden trying not to seem suspicious.

He narrows his eyes slightly and I can see he's trying to figure something out. "Oh, I thought I heard voices. Everything ok? You seem on edge."

"Yes, I'm fine. It's just been a busy day," I say with a smile. "How's my pool?"

A look of suspicion flashes across his face. He takes a final look around the room, before responding. "Installed the new pump. It seems to be working just fine. It's the top of the line model, so it should last for a long time."

"Thank you so much for all of your help! I don't know what I would do without you." I smile and give him a quick hug.

"I'm sure you would just call another pool company, but I'm glad I that I could help this time." Holden looks uncomfortable and brings his hand to the back of his neck. "Alyssa, I know that things were strained between us after everything that happened with Kyle. I'm glad you called me when you needed help. I love you and the boys and I would do anything for you. If you need anything at all, just call me. Nothing has changed. I will always be here for you."

"I appreciate that and thank you again for everything." I take a few steps toward the door and thankfully Holden follows. I give him a quick hug and he kisses my cheek. I add a smile and tell him, "I don't want to take any more time out of your weekend. Please let me know what I owe you and I'll write you a check."

"Alyssa, I can't take money from you. It's on the house. I'm just happy you and the boys will be enjoying the pool. I'll get going, but give me a call if you need anything." He says as he walks through the door giving me a small wave on the way out.

I sigh in relief that he left quickly. I remember that Amir is waiting in my office. I wonder how much of that conversation Amir heard. Turning to walk toward my office, the door suddenly opens and Amir approaches me with a scowl on his face. The relaxed, happy man that arrived unexpectedly on my doorstep is gone. Whatever he heard, it didn't make him happy.

His eyes narrow at me. "Who was that? Is that your boyfriend? Is that why you will sleep with me, but you won't date me? You have someone else and you are just playing me?" His voice is fierce and tone is sharp.

I take a few steps forward looking into his eyes and place my hand on his cheek. "No Amir, of course not. It's not what you think at all."

He takes my hand from his cheek. "Why didn't you want us to meet? Who is he?"