15-My Fairy Godmother

Over the past two days, I've thought a lot about this date with Amir.   Part of me is excited to spend time with him.  I am completely drawn to him.  It's not just his appearance or personality.   When he looks at me, he really sees me.  He wants to know all of me and not just the happy parts that I show to everyone.  It's like he understands me in a way that other people don't.   He doesn't have to say a word.  When he holds me like he did at Geoff's funeral, I feel safe and content.   At the same time, his touch can make me feel so much more.  The feeling of his skin brushing against mine awakens desires that I have a hard time controlling.     

That's why I'm a little worried about what will happen at the Gala.   I can't afford to get caught up in the moment and do something that will compromise my career.   I'm happy that we agreed to meet at the event.  It will minimize the time we spend together and ensure that I will have my own car to drive home when I need to escape.  

Its early afternoon as I pull into the downtown parking garage closest to the swanky salon and day spa that will be my home away from home for the next couple of hours.   It's owned by one of my good friends.   His husband oversees training on the West Coast for me and they both treat me like family.  

As soon as I step through the door, I'm greeted a high pitched squeal.   I scan the room for that teenage girl with the high-pitched voice.  Instead, I find the offensive sound coming from a handsome forty-year-old man finishing highlights on what appears to be a slightly terrified middle-aged woman.  I'm sure her ears are still ringing from her hairdresser screaming just inches from her head. 

Leaping across the salon, Rob reaches me in just a few bounds.  He wraps his arms around me while jumping up and down.  "I am so glad that Jason convinced you to let me make you over before your big date.  My whole team is going to make sure that you look fabulous for that big hunk of man-candy.   I've been looking forward to this all day!"

I glance around the large salon and notice that every eye is focused on me.  Robert's client has half her head covered in foils and is shooting me the look of death.  I self-consciously smile and quietly correct him, "It's not a real date.  I'm just meeting him at the gala and will spend the evening introducing him to people.  We're just going as colleagues.  He's a colleague, not man-candy."

"Missy, you can try to convince yourself that he's not man-candy, but don't try to lie to me.  Jason said that he is a hottie and you know he has great taste in men.  After all, he picked me." Rob's clear blue eyes lit up while a smile big smile blossoms on his lips.  

"...and behind all that hotness, you're so very humble."  I give him a wink and erupt into a fit of giggles.  "I admit Amir's good looking and I want to look nice tonight, but it's going to be strictly business." 

Rob offers me his arm and begins leading me toward the back of the salon.   "Your fairy godmothers await.   We're starting off with a manicure and pedicure.   Then, I'm personally working on your hair and makeup.  By the time we finish, no man will have the power to resist you.  Unless you count me.  You know I love you, but I don't swing that way! " 

Once my nails are perfect, I join Rob at the front of the salon.  He works his magic and tames my hair into a retro pin-up girl style with polished curls and sleek waves falling down my back.  Staying with the theme, he airbrushes my face with foundation making me look like a porcelain doll. Then, he applies long lash extensions followed by a cat-eye and finishes the look with a bright red lip.   It's much more makeup than I normally wear, but the final product is amazing. 

Rob starts searching the salon for something.  "You look fantastic, but I want to see the whole effect.  Where's the dress?"  

"I left it in the car.  It's too early to get dressed right now.  I still have a few hours until the gala starts.  I'll probably go into the office for a couple of hours and get dressed there before I meet everyone for drinks." I say with a shrug. 

My phone starts ringing and I see that Amir is calling me.  I knew it was too easy when he agreed to meet me at the gala. It was obvious that he wanted to take me out for a real date. Amir never seems to give up that easily.  I put my finger to my lips in warn Rob not to say a word as I pick up the line. 

"Hello, Amir.  To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" I say with more of a sarcastic edge than I intended. 

"Alyssa, I know that we agreed to meet at the gala, but I finished my meetings a bit early.  I thought we could grab a quick bite to eat before the event."  Amir's voice seemed hopeful. 

"Amir that's really sweet, but I still have to finish getting ready and it's probably best that I just meet..."  Suddenly, the phone is yanked out of my hands and Rob takes over the conversation. 

"Amir, I have heard so much about you.  I can't wait to meet you tonight.  Alyssa is nearly ready.  She just needs to get dressed and then you guys can head off to dinner.  Where are you now?" Rob asks. 

Rob pauses and then continues.  "Oh sure.  I know exactly where that is.  Your hotel is only about four blocks from us.  In fact, Alyssa needs to change into her dress and heels.   Can she come to your room to change into her outfit before dinner?"

At this point, I frantically start trying to grab the phone out of Rob's hand.  Unfortunately, he's over six foot tall and has an easy time keeping phone well out of my reach. 

"Perfect.  I am writing down your room number for her.  She should be there in about 15 minutes.  She looks excited.  You kids have fun and I'll see you at the gala!"  Rob ends the call and winks as he hands me a piece of paper with Amir's room number. 

I have never wanted to kill Rob more than right now.   "You're impossible.  I can't believe you did that."

"I'm impossible, not to love.   Stop being a stick in the mud.  Drive over to his hotel and have some fun.   Fingers crossed that it's more than just an innocent dinner.  I want a full report when I see you later."   Pushing me out the door, he yells "Don't do anything I wouldn't!"