Chapter 1

Penelope Yvelisse Cruz is played by @Jsavannah on Instagram... she is beautiful and the perfect image I have for this character.

Mariag3533

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My plane landed at about nine thirty this morning. My parents sent me away again while they travel to world. Mom said it won't be too long, but I know better. They sent me to Manhattan to live with my abuela, who is my mother's mother. She is young at heart, but old as ever. I will be staying with her and taking care of her while I'm in New York. I didn't take the time to ask abuelita to come get me, because I didn't want to trouble her so my parents just had my car shipped to the air port.

I approach the counter to receive my keys for my vehicle. Luckily, there aren't any complications and I get my keys and go. I am too tired to have to argue with the airport. I pack my luggage in the car and then get in to drive to my new home. As I'm driving I remember why I hated New York; the traffic. Abuelita only lives about thirty minutes from the air port, but the traffic turns my drive into forty five minutes.

As I'm driving I see a car in front of me backing out of parallel parking at full speed and I slam on brakes quickly before I hit his car.

Cars begin to honk behind me and flip them off. The black Range Rover backs out and the guy sticks his head out the window and flips me off as well. He has dark hair and ray and cover his eyes.

I roll down my window and we'll and cuss him, "fuck you dick," I shout. He speeds off and I follow behind him. I fucking hate New York.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I pull into my abuelita's oversized house. She has lived here since my mom was about thirteen years old and everything is still the same. I remember staying here a lot when my mom first had me, because she was trying to get through college and my dad was no where to be found. The only reason I know Spanish is because my abuelita taught me, if it were up to my mom she would prefer to leave our heritage behind. She has changed a lot and doesn't like to allow people to know who she was and because she doesn't look very Hispanic she doesn't tell people she is if they do not ask.

Abuelita opens the front door and I smile at her small size. She's a cute, short old woman with dark brown hair. She thought her hair would have turned grey by now, but she is in her sixties and it is still dark like my own and thick as ever.

"Mi Bebe," she says as I approach her front porch. I bend down and give her a tight hug.

"Hola abuelita," I say.

"Oh Mija I missed you so much. Tu es muy, muy Bonita. I can't wait to show you off to all of my friends Saturday at the social," she says. I sigh remembering that my abuelita wanted me to actually go meet people in the neighborhood and school this Saturday.

"I missed you too abuelita, but I'm not very excited about attending the social Saturday," I say dragging the last of my luggage in.

"You have no choice, because I have a surprise for you and you owe me," she says her accent thick and the same as I remember it. My abuelita is Dominican as is my mother, but I don't know very much about my father. My grandad was puertorican and he died almost four years ago of prostate cancer. I still miss him to this day as does abuelita, but she never saw death as a bad thing. She didn't allow herself to morn over his death for too long, but instead embraced his death and kept herself sane with all the memories they shared together.

"Mija pay attention you'll fall asleep daydreaming like that," she teases.

"I was just thinking abuelita," I respond.

"Well enough of that. Go upstairs to the guest room and put your things away," she tells me. I use the elevator to carry my luggage up the two story house. Yes I said elevator my abuela was lazy and it also came in handy when my Papi got sick and needed to get up and downstairs, so they installed it.

I drag my things down the hall to the guest room I know all too well, but when I open the door I am shocked to see that the room has been transformed into my ideal bedroom.

The room is absolutely perfect and fits my personality

The room is absolutely perfect and fits my personality. My mother never allowed me to decorate this way, because she said it wasn't girly enough.

"Abuelita I love that room," I tell her once I make it down stairs.

"You're welcome," she says and kiss her cheek. I start to unpack my things and put all of my clothes in he huge walk in closet. I add a few more decorations like pictures of friends and family. I put up a few of my favorite pose tees that I hid under my bed from my mom as well. After about two hours or so I finish and I change into a t-shirt and lay in bed. I'm exhausted and jet legged, so I instantly fall asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~

Next Day

"Don't argue with me Mija we have to go shopping for this social; it is super important that you make a good impression on these people before you start school," she says.

"I don't give a fuck-"

"Penelope Cuida tu manera de hablar," she cuts me off.

"Triste abuelita," I say and she hums. "But I really don't care whether those kids like me or not."

"I know and that's why I love you now go find an outfit for the social," she says and I roll my eyes.

I walk through forever 21 and search the racks for something dressy, but also causal and comfortable. I decide on a loose, but fitted grey dress that has a cute slit in the front and I'm going to wear it with my all black gladiator heels.

"Abuelita I have the dress I want," I say.

"I mean it's pretty, but the colors are so dark," she says and i raise my eyebrow. "But if it's what you want then we will get it." I smile at her. She pays for the dress and we head to nail salon so I can get a fill in. Abuelita says, "Mija you can't show up to the social with those grown out nails," therefore I had to get them fixed. After we finish she says I need my eyebrows tweezed and I agree with her and allow the women to thread my eyebrows.

"Mija you look so pretty now. Not that you weren't before. Do you need someone to come do your make up? Or hair," she asks.

"I know what you're doing," I finally say.

"I'm trying to prepare you for the social-"

"Nope it's more than that. You used to do it when I was younger too," I say.

"I don't know what you mean," she lies.

"Liar. You think I'm upset about mom sending me away again so you're spoiling me," I say.

"You figured me out Mija. I just want you to feel happy and accepted here. I know how hard it is for you to have to change schools all your life and constantly travel. This year is your senior year and I want you to feel secure and comfortable. That starts with showing off at the social so you can make friends," she says.

"Well I love you for that Abuelita, but you don't have to make up for my mothers neglect. I will go to the social and be my sweet, cheery self just for you," I say.

"Gracias bebe," she says with a smile. We get in the car and I drive home. I know I told Abuelita I was going to be excited for Saturday, but honestly I am dreading it.