Chapter 1

By : SS98

Summary:

You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs

----------

NARRATOR'S POV

Middleston had two landmarks that the rest of the continent was void of. An abandoned amusement park from the 1800's that still stood, rusty and dingy with a few caretakers to ensure its survival. Second, a run-down but still fully functioning asylum called The Madhouse informally by the townies who saw it erected sixty-eight years ago.

The weather in Middleston was as bipolar as some of the loonies within in. Today is hot, insanely humid with perspiration on every resident's body and allergies in overdrive. Yesterday was the host of a major storm which made the damp, heavy conditions of today that more irritating.

Louis' no different from everyone else in the respect that he'd very much appreciate the opportunity to stay indoors with a sweater and shorts on, moving from room to room in his apartment with a bowl of soggy cereal and sweet milk.
Unfortunately for him, today is his final day at the asylum mentioned above. He's the assistant to their in-house psychologist while he completes his degree in psychology.

Today is said to be the day he meets the only patients worth meeting. Brothers with a temper, one can sense that he's very excited through his early prep of questioning sheets and outfit planning. He's pretty sure none of those matter.

"Do you think they've really recovered?" His ultimate best friend had spent the night to help him get ready this morning.

Louis knows Niall just wanted free food and a place to crash because his motel reservation expired when his gambling money did.

"Not sure." Louis shrugs, walking from the bathroom door to his closet with a towel on. "I've never seen them and one can only assume such things with physical contact."

"Physical contact." Niall cackles, dropping to his back on the bed. "Well don't go in there with your guns blazing. They're rapists, you know."

"No they're not." Louis slips the arms of his navy sweater on. "They're alleged murderers. Alleged."

"Alright, lover boy. You're going to be late." Niall gets a towel to the face for the nickname. "Can I hang around here while-"

"Yes."

"Because-"

Louis sighs heavily, snatching his satchel and other necessities at the door. "Because you travelled with me from London and your current broke-ass state is my fault. Eat my food and sleep in my bed to comfort yourself, jerk."

"I love you too!"

Driving in this weather is getting Louis. It's at least twenty minutes of open road with gigantic trees on either side creeping onto the tar until he gets to the wrought iron gates of The Madhouse. His Audi finds its usual parking space at the entrance to the institution with nuns and fake nuns making their way around the grounds.

A few greet him and he smiles tightly at them, the fake nuns at least. He respects the old and cruel women because they respect their vows, unlike most of the young ones who lift their dresses for the first pretty face they see.

"Good morning, Lou." Eleanor, the secretary in the admin division of this establishment, greets him with a red-lipped smile and cup of coffee.

He hums and makes his way to the cubicles that hold files for their tasks due by the end of the day. There was the case of Perrie the Landscaper, who had a fetish for splashing blood across walls after a kill. Then came his final meeting with John the librarian who used to cut human appendages and stick them in books.
His third and final assignment was The Styles brothers. Their file was black and sealed with a sticker.