Chapter 21

All I know at the end of the day is you love love. There ain't no other way.

*NARRATOR'S POV*

"Duckling?" Liam stood up from the hotel room floor as soon as he heard the click of an electronic lock.

Niall looks bummed out and exhausted, having just come back from Styles manor with the conclusion that he's a worse friend than Harry and Edward Styles. The blasphemy was uncouth and it made him feel inadequate, drowning in self-pity.

"Love, I'm so sorry." Liam takes the jacket over Niall's shoulder and the car keys, tossing them away so he can cradle the boy's face in both his hands. "I shouldn't have thrown something like that on you."

Starting to shake his head, Niall realises that such a movement would be futile due to the strength of the man standing taller than him at the moment. He braces his own hands over Liam's and smiles tiredly.

"It's fine. I'm fine." He insists, authentically drained more for the reason of his own stupidity than how idiotic he let Edward make him feel.

"What happened?" Liam pulls Niall into his arms, placing his chin on the darkening blond tint of hair. "Where did you go, Ni?"

"To see Lou." Comes Niall's muffled response against Liam's chest. "I fucked up, Liam."

"What? How, Duckling?" He leads Niall towards the nearest bed that was one of two, sitting down and pulling Niall onto his lap.

Niall doesn't seem fit to talk about it with Liam. Nobody wants to bring themselves down in the eyes of someone else by speaking a blunt truth. What would Liam think of him if he learned that Louis had a panic attack but only Edward Styles could pacify him?

"Not now then." Liam brushes aside some of Niall's nasty knots out with his fingers. He kisses Niall's nose. "Later, okay?"

"No." Niall whines and hides from the dull sunlight. "Never."

Liam chuckles to himself, knowing that he'd get it out of Niall sooner or later. The blond lad was terrible at containing himself, whilst Louis could go on hiding the truth forever.

* * * * *

Louis had been forced into isolation so he could think about everything that was going on his head. Edward had a difficult time admitting it when his petal only complained that there was too much, it was too loud and too scary in his own head.
"No, Edward. I don't want to be alone." Louis was taken to the guest room in Edward's arms because he didn't want to walk.

"You must, petal." Edward stood at the bed but Louis didn't climb off him. "You refuse to talk about it and I can only help with this."

Louis found himself dropped onto the bouncy mattress, the micro-fibres fitting around his weight. He was overwhelmed and maybe time alone would help but it could also do more damage, so he scrambled off the bed when Edward started to leave.

"Don't." Edward's voice boomed through his eardrums and Louis froze, looking distraught.

"Stay with me." His voice shook. He even reached out slowly, the loss of energy causing his hand to shiver. "Pl-Please."

Edward stepped closer and gave Louis hope, emerald green turning shaky blue into ash. He slapped Louis' hand away and when the boy choked on something as dreadful as a sob, Edward grabbed both sides of his face.

"Hush." He pressed his lips fervently to Louis' forehead, their height difference making it easy.

Louis' hands, smaller and weaker, gripped Edward's shirt with all the begging and pleas showing through the act. His desperation made his back arch when Edward grazed over it with his comforting hand. He felt safer here, warmer and less like an explosive. Being this reassured by Edward's presence, Louis allowed himself to be calm.