Chapter 38

*NARRATOR'S POV*

The Styles babies were born on February first in the gloomy year of 1989. The weather was sickly that day, grey clouds and even greyer people, like this was dictating all that their lives would surround. Sadness and death, as Anne had passed three funerals on her ambulance ride to the hospital.

She gave birth at something to midnight and the epidural did little to lessen her pain as she recollected the conception of her precious babies. The man had been a monster but her babies were not. They cried with powerful lungs and wiggled as wet messes in her arms, no one beside her to congratulate her, but she kissed their foreheads and told them that she loved them.

Their hair was so white, their little pink faces and limbs so pure and innocent. They cried with closed eyes and Anna felt the happiest she's ever been.

When she was allowed to take them home, her move was right into the manor where she grew up. Styles Manor. She wasn't a Styles but her family worked here for years and just one night, fateful or tragic, she lay with a man who landed her in this position. A psychopath down to the very core, the man who gave her babies their white hair.

Edward and Harry Styles became her everything.

Anne never dated or made new friends. Sacrificing her sleep and nutrition meant nothing if her babies were kept healthy. Edward cried the most as a baby while Harry seemed to be observing everything. She would spend hours just walking around the giant estate trying to calm her elder son down, him addicted to her heartbeat and she to his presence.

* * * * *

Edward was convinced that turning six would be a disaster. Aging seemed so vile a topic already, while Harry made himself have the same opinion to impress his older brother. They've been fighting a lot lately, and as a result have been made to have their baths together with absolutely no hot water.
"Pup?" Edward knew he had the upper hand on his brother already. It was evident from the way Harry never left his side.

Harry's eyes were focused on the water in the tub they shared, creating ripples with his hand even though he was scared to go too big and disturb Edward. He can be a nuisance sometimes and he knows that, but he doesn't know that his older sibling wouldn't trade him for anything.

"Wanna take turns?" Edward proposed, as he did every time they took a bath together.

Harry eagerly nodded and already had the oval-shaped soap bar in his hand. He waited for Edward to turn around between his legs before starting his duty with the utmost responsibility. He washed Edward's frosty white hair and thought about how it didn't suit him. He washed away the metaphorical grime of a day spent digging up pet graves in the back yard.

Later that night they were getting ready for a movie night. It was always just the two of them because everyone else in the house wanted to sleep. Their mother never found a problem in two almost six year old's wanting to watch films late at night.

"What can we watch?" Edward spoke to himself while Harry went to the kitchen and peered into their popcorn bowl while their mother loaded it up.

"Now, boys." She came into the living room ahead of Harry, the latter being overly excited for their traditional plans. "No messing the lounge no matter how excited you get."

Edward chose Nightmare on Elm Street and Harry threw their blanket across the couch. He got under it with his pale feet sticking out the other end while Edward managed controlling the DVD player. It was a real challenge the first time he did it but now the routine is simple.