Chapter 35

pay very careful attention to time. it may get confusing so I suggest from right now, prepare. The first bit is a flashback and there's one more somewhere along the line here so pay attention.

----------

*NARRATOR'S POV*

"Dexter." Edward shuts the door after he pulls Harry into the ancient attic room above the highest level, keeping his hand around his brother's wrist. "We're here."

The shadow by the badly tinted window alerts them that they are being heard by the man they came to see. Harry doesn't even try to retract his hand because he's not very fond at all of this particular man, be him their father or not.

Said shadow moved and Harry kept half his body concealed behind Edward's. He took a deep breath, stared at the ground and held it in. Edward raised his chin to be as attentive and unafraid as he watched their father step away from the glass panes to turn around.

His face was always a shock, his build and his stature were all mutated, slanted and majorly unattractive. Dexter had a shoulder higher up than the other, the muscle build on that slightly greater. His body was off-putting in proportion and his facial structure was demeaning.
One eyebrow was slit and one eyelid won't ever close even for blinks. His upper lip was scarred and bound to the rest of his skin, his hair permanently dyed red.

The roots were turning white, not grey, and the tips were red in an unappealing combination. Dexter's front incisors were sharpened the way all Edward's were. His smile was sickening to any strong gut and Edward found himself disrespectfully frowning at their father.

When Dexter opened his mouth, the rest of shredded-sleeve and army pants clothing stays stiff. "You came quickly."

Edward feels Harry raise his head and his hand slip down lower so their fingers are interlocked. He admired and was a little puzzled by his brother's need for affection whenever their domineering, frightening father was concerned.

"You needed us." Edward pushes forward the topic of their presence here.

Dexter steps out of the dark and under the dull fluorescent bulb's lighting right in front of Edward's face. The latter doesn't step back despite his urges to, raising his head to keep eye contact and partially shield his nervous sibling.

Warm, foul breath was fanned out over his nose when Dexter spoke, a minor lisp in comparison to Edward's caused by his whitened tongue brushing the pointed tips of his front teeth. "I need you to fetch me something."

Edward's lips curl into a smirk of ideal devious intent. He loves the tasks he's given by Dexter, even if they make Harry overly insecure. "Yes?"

"Him." Dexter extracted a crumpled, faded piece of paper from his heavy jacket pocket and shoved it in Edward's hand, dry and calloused on over-worked and cut up.

He peels open the photograph with one hand and pry apart the folded corners with his deft fingers. The moisture of the paper has caused obvious ink fading activity but the object of the photograph still takes Edward's breath away.

"This one is beautiful." He comments, rubbing his thumb over the prominent cheekbone feature and failing to hide his mesmerisation at those blue, blue eyes.

Dexter's chest releases a dissatisfied growl as he suddenly snatches the photo back. "Mine."

* * * * *

"Because, for fuck's sake!" Edward curses himself when he can't get it out, doesn't want to but fights every impulse stinging his subconscious. "Because Dexter wanted you first!"
Louis stood stock still in a pin-drop silent parking lot with two pairs of eyes trained on him at different angles, antagonising him. He opened his mouth with a twisted frown to say something in comeback.