Meeting the Rents'

**I know some of you are anxious about Xavier and Aceso meeting, so rest assured knowing that that will be happening in the next two chapters!! :) Also, Aceso's dress above!**

Alpha Jerrod's POV

Folding my hands in my lap, I leaned forward and placed my elbows on my thighs as I watched Alethia and her new friend getting ready. Most would find it creepy, but I can't find it in me to let my daughter out of my sight. Not when we're on unfamiliar land that I can't navigate easily. And just like every time before, a searing pain shot straight through my heart at the thought of my lost daughter. We hadn't even had a chance to name her, or Alethia yet.

I let out a strained laugh at the memory of my beautiful wife, Lidia, and I arguing over what we were going to name our two angels. We'd struggled for two years to conceive - so imagine our surprise when the doctor told us we were having twins. We were completely overjoyed. It was one of the only times in my life I had ever cried. That of course, was before everything happened.

They were our little miracles, and we cherished them with everything we had the second they came into this world. We didn't want to give them ordinary names, because the elders had said they could tell our girls were destined for great things.

It wasn't until a few weeks after our child was taken that one of our highly respected elders had named Alethia with our consent. We fell in love with the name instantly. I suggested that we name our other bundle of joy, but every time I brought the subject up, Lidia would shut me out and refuse to speak to me. I tried to be strong for my mate, I really did, but the grief eventually got to me and I cracked. I locked away all my emotions and killed anyone who dared step foot on my land without my permission first. I refused to let another one of my pack families go through what my family and I had.

Pushing away the painful memories, I was jerked back to reality when Aceso let out a loud, boisterous laugh. I couldn't help but be taken aback by how similar it was to Lidia's. They almost sounded identical. It always amazed me how such a large sound could be projected from such a little body. My wolf began pacing in my head, whining and pawing at me to let him forward, but I didn't have a clue as to why.

I tried to ignore it and focus on my precious little girl and how happy she looked. I've heard her laugh more in the last day than I have her entire life. Her and this new girl, Aceso, talked and joked as if they'd known each other their whole life. What shocked me even more, was that Alethia knew that this girl was a Nightshade, but she didn't seem to care one bit. If she did, she didn't show it at all.

"Hey, Lee, is there any chance you brought a second dress with you? I didn't even think to buy a new dress after I matured because I was so stressed with...uh...school." I looked up at her and studied her face with narrowed eyes, not missing the fact that she hesitated on her words.

"Of course! Lucky for you we're basically the same size. Here!" Aceso's eyes lite up as she gazed at the dress, and I couldn't keep the smile from my face. The warm feeling in my chest was the exact same as whenever Alethia smiled or did something that made me proud. It was unnerving in the slightest.

"Speaking of which, how was your maturation? I swear to God, if mine was anything like how childbirth is going to be, I'm adopting." Alethia said with a huff, causing me to laugh. I distinctly remember her screams of pain and harsh words directed at anything and everything just about a week ago. Aceso seemed to become extremely uncomfortable with the question and began to fidget.

She audibly gulped before saying, "Well, actually, I sort of – um - matured early I guess?" She squeaked out. My brows shot up in surprise and confusion. I've never heard of a female maturing early. I don't think it's ever happened before. Matter of fact, I'm positive it hasn't. As an Alpha, we're required to read general history records about our species. That type of thing never came up.