Chapter Six.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I blushed. My skin warmed from my chest all the way to my face. To say the least, I’m pretty sure I looked like a ripe tomato. I can’t believe what Tommy just said. I was so mortified; I couldn’t even look them in the eye. I grabbed the nearest bottle of tequila, and rushed out of the room so far, I almost knocked Tommy over.

“You don’t have to leave!” I heard Eli call after me, and he was laughing so loud the sound followed with me until I was safely back in the midst of the club. The music drowned in my ears, and people pushed at me as I made my way toward the bar.

“Found it.” I announce to Eli’s dad, waving the bottle of tequila. I was really hoping the dimmed lights were covering my blush.

“Took you long enough.” Brian jokes. He laughs lightly, wiping his hands down on a dish towel. “Did you find it okay?”

“Yeah.” I say, and look away. I push a piece of hair behind my ear, and my eyes catch onto Tommy and Elijah coming out of the storage room. As though he knew I was looking, Elijah’s eyes swing to meet mine, and he winks. He winks! I was going to kill Tommy for giving Elijah even further ideas on how to ridicule me.  

“Listen, Dakota.” Brian was saying, and I turn away from his son in order to look at him. He had the same dark hair, only graying on the ends, and his eyes were the same unusual grey. “Is everything all right between you and Elijah?”

My eyebrows come together. “What do you mean?”

Brian shrugs. He slides shots over to a group of girls. “You guys are dating, right? And I just noticed, you guys haven’t talked tonight. Are you two fighting?”

My eyes got so wide, I was sure they would fall out of their sockets. And of course, another blush flew to my cheeks. I slapped my hands to my face in an attempt to hide it. He thought I was dating Elijah. Oh, my gosh. That’s almost as bad as Tommy thinking we have sexual tension!

Because, we most defiantly do not. Right?

I awkwardly clear my throat, and hesitantly meet Brian’s orbs. “Um, no. We are most certainly not dating.”

Only pretending too.

“Really?” Brian sounded shocked. “It’s just, when he asked me to give you a job, I just assumed.”

“No.” I laugh lightly, and nervously scratch at my elbow. “Your son does not like me.”

He raises a surprised eyebrow. “Really?”

I nod, and smack my lips together. “Yes. He has his eye set on Stacey Dugan.” I roll my eyes.

“Stacey Dugan?”

I crook a finger, signaling Brian to move closer. When he does, I say, “My best friend. Elijah is completely obsessed with her. Don’t tell him I told you though!”