Chapter Twenty Six.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“So, where’s Ryan been lately?” I asked Stacey as we both lounged on my bed, flipping through a magazine. We both had just gotten back from the local gym, because somehow Stacey talked me into working out today. My legs are sore, from the hips down, but frankly, I don’t care. It felt good to get a work out in.

Stacey pulled a sour face, wrinkling her nose. “We had a fight. He doesn’t think I’m committed enough and blah, blah, blah.” Stacey’s face then contoured into an annoyed expression with her thin eyebrows pulled down and her lips pursed.

I steal a glance at Stacey, taking in her red waves that seemed to still be perfect, minus how she sweated at the gym. My hair, on the other hand, was pulled into a loose messy bun, a few frizzy strands straying everywhere. I quickly looked away, flipping the page of my magazine. “Well, are you?”

Stacey shrugged. “Sure. I mean, I like him.”

“But…?” I pressed. Knowing Stacey for some time, I came to know when she was hiding something. And right now, she is.

Stacey rolls over onto her side, placing her elbow into the pillow above her, propping her cheek into her fist. “But, I just may not be into a relationship right now.”

Poor Ryan was the first thing I thought. This wasn’t anything new for Stacey, it was actually a routine. She found a boy she was attracted to, went out on a couple of dates, hooked up and then she grew bored with them. And right now, she’s bored of Ryan.

Not that I’m any better. Heck, I skip the dates and go straight to the hook up. Causal hookups and never anything further than making out, because I’m not that kind of girl. And plus, boys wanted Stacey as a girlfriend, never once had they even thought of asking me on a proper date.

“So, what are you going to do now?” I drew the question out, turning to meet her gaze.

Once again, she shrugged. “I’ll wait it out.” Then, a she grinned. “Anyway, did you hear about Dianne and Sam?”

I quirk an eyebrow. “No, what’s up?”

“I heard they’re dating now. It’s about time.” Stacey huffs out a breath and rolls her eyes.

“That’s great.” I said, but my voice was anything less than enthusiastic. Not that I’m not happy for Dianne, because I am. The truth is, I’m jealous. It seems so easy for everyone to fall right into a relationship, not worrying about trust or if the feelings are actually real. And most importantly, no one ever thinks about ending up hurt. And in a relationship, someone always does.

“Speaking about Sam,” Stacey continued. “Are you going to his party?”

Every summer in the beginning of August, Sam throws an annual party. His parents go away every year at the same time to some vacation home they have for their anniversary. The party is always the same; crowded with drunken people, blasting with music and the smell of cigarette smoke and stale alcohol.