Chapter Seventeen.

Elijah Astor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Where are you going?” Dakota asked, nearing into the living room. She looked at Stacey, before dunking her head and rubbing the white towel in her hand through her damp hair. She had just gotten out of the shower, prior to being on the beach all day. She was in a pair of soffee shorts and an off the shoulder light blue t-shirt. Her cheekbones were tinged a light red; sunburn.

She lifted her head back up, raising her eyebrows at Stacey. “Are you guys going out?” She wondered, taking in Stacey’s red sundress, curled hair and Ryan’s arm thrown over her small shoulders.

“Yeah.” Stacey half smiled. She bent down, slipping her feet into a pair of white sandals. “A date.”

“Oh.” Dakota’s shoulders fell and her face seemed to pale. At that, I made a face and a grunting noise from my seat on the couch. Ever since we supposedly slept together, Dakota has been acting strange. She hardly talks, and when we returned home from the boardwalk last night, she made sure to sleep all the way on the edge of the bed, certain that no parts of us were touching. I would say she’s scared to be alone with me.

I scoffed at that thought.

Stacey gave me a side long glance, as just now noticing my presence. I feel welcomed. She returned her attention back to her friend. “You and Elijah should go out too. Some alone time.”

Dakota scrunched up her nose. “We’ve had plenty.”

I smirked at the side of her face. “Blondie.” I purposely moaned her name.

Dakota was the only one who seemed to notice the taunting tone of my voice. She shuffled uncomfortably, and I noted the burgundy blush sweep over her skin. She didn’t make eye contact with me, and I would be lying if I said it didn’t bother me. I wanted her to talk to me, for whatever reason, I’ll never know. I wanted her to fight with me, joke with me, anything.

“I agree with Stacey.” Ryan piped in. “There’s a nice restaurant on the other side of town. You guys should check it out.”

“Dakota and I’ve been there.” Stacey smiled. “The food is good. I’m sure Elijah will treat you to dinner.” She winked slyly.

“Um, maybe.” Dakota murmured, and her blush was even brighter now. Huh, weird. “Well, you two have fun I guess...”

Stacey hugged Dakota before grabbing her purse from the table. “You two behave. And don’t wait up!” She called as they exited the house, the door slamming shut behind them.

“Well.” I said, sighing loudly. I gazed at the side of Dakota, whom was staring longingly at the door. I rolled my eyes. She looked like she wanted to do nothing but run out of here. “Dakota.” I said.

She finally turned to me, slowly. Her green eyes shone with uncertainty and I felt a weird pang in my stomach. I took notice to how warm and dark her skin looked. Her hair was still wet, curled at the edges and dripping slightly down her neck. I followed one drop that slipped beneath the fabric of her shirt.

“Um,” Dakota hummed, and I snapped my eyes back up to hers. “I’m just going to take a nap.” She rushed on, turning on her heel and disappearing into the bedroom, the door slamming shut seconds later.

This sucks.

I was bored, hungry, and pissed. Pissed at what, I have no idea.

Sighing loudly again, I stretched out on my back, threw my arms over my eyes and slept.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Elijah,” I heard someone by my ear and a poke in my side. And then a frustrated sigh. “Elijah, wake up.”