Chapter Thirteen.

Elijah Astor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next day went by the same as yesterday. We slept in, hung out on the beach, came home and ate. Tonight was the only thing that was going to be different. We all agreed to go to this party and as much as Dakota would like to hide it, I could tell she was nervous. For what, I don’t know. All that I do know is she’s been fidgeting all day and has been strangely quiet.

I was seated on the couch in the family room with Ryan. We were waiting on the girls to finish; we could hear them talking in the room. I have been talking to Ryan for the last half hour, and I came to the conclusion that he’s not as bad as I once thought.

He moved to Phoenix because his parents’ work was transferred. They both work in some big financial business, whatever it is; they must make decent money, for the house he was living in now was quite nice. Also, Ryan had many goals, which I didn’t take him as the type. He told me he plans on listing into the army after high school and then after that he wants to take over his parents business.

In his old high school, he said he use to play for the basketball team and was planning on signing up this year. “Is the team any good?” He asked me.

I shrugged. “I guess. I don’t really keep tabs on it.”

He nodded his head in understanding. He glanced down at his watch, then at the same time both our eyes moved to stare at the closed bedroom door where Dakota and Stacey were still attempting to get ready. He chuckled. “Those girls take forever.”

“You’re telling me.” I murmured. “So, how did you meet Stacey?”

“Through Dakota.”

Oh, right.

“I didn’t expect Stacey to go after a guy like me.” He continued and before I had the time to ask what he meant, he said, “The day I moved in, I think it was the last day of school, because Dakota was talking to her mom outside when my family pulled up to the house. I heard her mom asking how the last day went.”

“It probably was.” I responded.

“Yeah.” He laughed. “Right before my family even had time to come in the house, Dakota and her mother instantly walked over to welcome us. Man,” He laughed again, bent his head and ran his hand across the back of his head. “I remember thinking Dakota was so pretty. And don’t tell anyone this, but I originally liked her.”

It was easy to believe he thought Dakota was pretty, because she is. I thought she was pretty the day I first saw her freshman year, walking down the hall with some short girl. Dakota didn’t know me then, but I thought she was quiet when I first saw her, shy even. But, then soon enough, she was being talked about all over school, whether it was good or bad, all I knew was she was popular, but she was always one step below Stacey.

“So, then why are you with Stacey?” I wondered, quickly stealing a quick glance toward the door to make sure they wouldn’t overhear.