Chapter 1 | Day 1 & Before | Tears Mean Weakness

Song of the Chapter: Little Toy Guns by Carrie Underwood

___

Two Weeks Later-First Day of School

"Watch it, loser."

"Sorry," I squeak as I pick up my books.

"What a nerd. Such a waste of space. Why don't you do us a favor and get out of our lives!" The football player shouts in my ear.

I look down and push my glasses up my nose and scurry off but not before I hear him.

"Don't know why Krycyand stayed her friend. She's such a loser."

"It was pity. Duh." His braindead friend answers.

I stare at the floor, my head barely touching my chest as I hug my books to my body, my cumbersome backpack swinging against my back. I refuse to let the tears pooling in my eyes fall.

Tears mean weakness.

I repeat my mantra in my head, letting it fill my brain and ears, until it's all I hear. Going into my statistics class, I try to stay invisible but it doesn't work as I have to sit in front due to my sucky eyesight. Pulling out a book, I start to read and get lost in the magical world of fairy tales in Gail Carson Levine's "The Fairy Returns". Suddenly my hands are empty and some jock who shouldn't be in an AP class is holding my precious copy, reading the summary.

"Fairies? What are you? Seven? Who believes in fairies and magic? Pathetic people. Like you," he jeers as he tosses the book behind him, on the floor.

Laughter rings through my ears as I scramble to grab the book and in my haste, accidentally trip and land in my seat rather roughly. Shielding my burning face through a curtain of hair, I glance up and see the teacher biting his lip as he tries to hold back a laugh. Ducking my head, I try to pay attention as he introduces himself. And that's how I spend the rest of my day.

...

Nine Months Later-Last Week of May

I stumble up the stairs to our apartment under the weight of my backpack after a long farewell meeting for honor society. Unlocking the door with the spare key hidden in the brick, I drop into my desk chair with a sigh. Rubbing my temples, I sit there for a moment as I relax. Which apparently is short-lived.

"Zyliena! Zyliena!"

A five year old girl runs into my room, her foot catching on the other and making her stumble. Shooting out of my chair, I just barely catch her before she hits the floor. I swear, this trait of clumsiness she inherited from her mother is going to be the death of her.

"What's up, Vakeny?" I ask as I pat her down.

"Someone sent you a letter!"

I stop what I'm doing and look at her and for the first time notice the letter in her hand. Grabbing it, I sit at my desk, Vakeny in my lap.

Dear Zyliena,

It's Krycyand! Sorry I haven't talk to you in a while, but I've been busy, what with the show and all. But I have great news! You can visit me over the summer! Before you said you couldn't afford it, so my dad is going to let your family stay in one of his suites, discounted rate of course! I'll get back to you on the details, but you'll visit me in early June, right after graduation. I can't wait to see you!