Chapter 22 | But He's Smarter. Just Still Stupid.

Song of the Chapter: Mess I Made by Parachute

___

Four Years Later

Looking at the ground, I navigate my way through the crowds around the college's courtyard, tucking my books closer to my chest and hitching up my backpack. My last class of the day just ended and it's also the last day before winter break, so everyone's in a hurry. The sun will probably stay out another hour before it sets, making it about six o'clock. A gust of wind blows, and I shiver, pulling my white beanie further down. My hair finally grew back and I'm never cutting it again.

A sudden squealing makes my head shoot up. Girls start flocking to the grassy area in the middle of the space, surrounding a person. The mob makes it hard to see what's causing the commotion, until someone moves and I see him. Adrenor.

Staring at him in shock, I nearly drop my books. He looks up for a second and we lock eyes. My breath catches in my throat and I can't look away. An arm wraps around my shoulder and I tear my eyes away to see Ellibras grinning down at me after talking with the professor.

(A/N: If you don't remember who Ellibras is, go back to Chapter 14 or wait, I'll explain later.)

Sparing one last glance at him, I walk away, heading home.

When we get to the apartment, I place my keys on the hook and hang my coat on the hanger by the door.

"Mom! We're home!"

"Hi, honey!" Mom says, wiping her hands on her apron before hugging me and Ellibras.

"So...what cha making?" Ellibras asks, rocking back and forth in his heels, giving Mom his best smile.

She practically swoons. I swear, she's like a teenager trapped inside the body of an adult.

"Well, I'm trying to make Christmas cookies to bring, but it's not working out so well."

Grinning, we head to the kitchen to fix her mess. Did I mention Ellibras can cook, too?

After we quickly make more cookies with Vakeny and Lxansyer, we change into our formal clothes. I'm dressed in a red knee length dress with a studded belt and white flats and a white trenchcoat to protect me from the cold. We grab a taxi to upstate Ilopie, where Winnakly's aunt's party is. The taxi stops in front of a gleaming hotel with a gorgeous lobby holding a huge Christmas tree displayed in the center.

We gaze in awe at the decorations before heading to the bathroom, where the party is. There's even a coat check by the door! There are people milling around, talking and mingling. I spot a bunch of buyers of Mom's art and she immediately goes over to chat. Vakeny and Lxansyer's eyes light up at the sight of a kids section on the corner, filled with toys and such. They shoot off, instantly talking to other kids.

Ellibras offers his elbow to me and I smile at him before slipping my hand through. We walk around the room, taking to random people until someone talks me on the shoulder. Turning around, I see Winnakly with a huge grin on her face.

"Kly!" I exclaim, wrapping my arms around her.

"Zyliena! It's been forever!"

"On whose behalf?" I joke, pulling away.

"Alright, fine. But majoring in law is hard!"