Chapter 19 | Day 39 & 40 | Did You Just Call Me Stupid?

Song of the Chapter: Stronger by Kelly Clarkson

___

"Well, Ms. Crenlantyon, it looks like you're free to go," Dr. Zegrad says.

I grin. Finally out of here. I climb out of the bed with the doctor's help, the smile never leaving my face.

"There's nothing wrong, so you should feel fine. If you get any headaches, call immediately."

I nod and Hotshot escorts me out, where my family is waiting.

"Congrats, Zyliena!" Treynakly greets.

I go around giving hugs and when I reach my mom, I give her a tight squeeze.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it. I know you were just looking out for me."

"It's alright. Plus, he's not half bad."

I grin and bend down to scoop up the twins.

"You're out of the hospital?"

"Yep. More play time with you guys!"

They cheer and the smile on my face gets wider as we leave the building. Hotshot drives us to our hotel, where we grab dinner at the hotel restaurant.

"Man, I forgot how good actual food was!" I exclaim when I take a bite of my spaghetti and meatballs. "I've been surviving off of burgers for the past two weeks."

"So unhealthy," Kly mutters.

"Excuse me? But you were the one bringing the majority because, and I quote, 'the hospital food stinks'. I would've been fine eating it. I did survive off Mom's food for, what, thirteen years?"

"Hey!" Mom protests.

"I'm sorry Mom, but your cooking stinks," I tell her, grinning, contradicting my apology.

She rolls her eyes while everyone else laughs. I look around and see a bunch of people looking at me. My hair! Or lack of it. I don't need people looking at me. I hate it already. Slouching down, I try to make myself as inconspicuous as possible.

Hotshot, who's sitting across from me, noticed this and lifts an eyebrow at my behavior. Ignoring him, I stay silent for the rest of the dinner, listening to everyone else's conversations.

"I think I'm going to go to the room early. See you guys later," I say when another person looks at me.

"You sure?" Mom asks.

"Yeah. Um, I'm pretty tired, so...um... I'll just get to bed. Yeah," I mutter, lying terribly.

Everyone nods, pretending they don't know I'm lying. Scraping my chair back, I walk to the elevator, feeling stares on me. Quickening my pace, I practically run to the elevator. I slump down in relief as the door start to close.

Suddenly, they're stopped by a hand.

"Mind if I join?" Hotshot steps on to the elevator, standing next to my sitting figure.

"Yes." I mutter under my breath.

His eyes flash with hurt and I quickly backtrack.

"I'm sorry," I say, standing up and hugging him.

He wraps his arms around me and I squeeze him tighter. His arms create a cage from all the stares and whispers I know are coming. I want to stay in his arms, for fear that coming out of them means facing the whispers. I don't need eyeballs.

We stay like that until the doors open, signaling we've reached our floor.

"You okay?" he asks as we're watching the sunset from my room.