Chapter 8 | Day 8 & 9 | Jealousy Will Drive You Mad

Song of the Chapter: Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presely

___

After we eat lunch, I head to The Freezer to meet Winnakly while the rest of the family does this art project the hotel had for the kids.

"Hey!" I greet Winnakly when I see her.

"Hey back!"

We go up to the counter to order and when we have our ice cream, we walk aimlessly around the city.

"So, I was wondering," Winnakly says after we catch up.

"Yeah?"

"Maybe we could go shopping? I know how much you hate it, but it is a date and you need to look good," she adds when she sees my grimace.

"Please, I look good in anything," I tease.

"Please? I haven't been dress shopping in forever!"

"Fine," I relent.

"Yay! This will be so much fun!"

Those famous last words are what every person says before they die.

...

"My feet hurt!" I complain as were walking on the sidewalk for the millionth time today.

We've been shopping for three hours. I could've gotten through who knows how many chapters of Pride and Prejudice. And we haven't even found anything! Winnakly's made me try on a variety of dresses from tight, skimpy ones to long, flowy ones, but none of them feel right. We've hit at least ten stores and nothing. Not one dress that seemed remotely nice for this event. I don't know why I'm putting so much time into finding an outfit.

Maybe because you like him.

No, I don't! He's arrogant and cocky! I can't like him! He'll just leave me.

That fact doesn't mean you don't like him.

I don't understand, you were all for ignoring him and never talking to him again a couple days ago. What happened?

He started being nice.

Yeah, well, that doesn't mean I can like him.

Whatever you say.

I'm literally pulled out of my thoughts when Winnakly tugs me into a small boutique. It has a retro feel to it, with vintage, 50s fashion hanging from the racks. This actually looks nice. I've actually always loved 1950s fashion when I saw a pin on Pinterest. It looks so cool. I'm browsing the racks when I spot the clearance area. Bingo. There are a bunch of colorful dresses with tulle, sequins, and ribbons. Flipping though the hangers, I give each one a longer glance as this clearance has a larger discount. Who knows where the perfect dress is.

And I just so happen to find it. I'm about to give up and go on to the next rack when a black ribbon catches my eye. Pulling the dress out, I examine it. It's a long sleeved, cream colored, knee length dress with a thin black ribbon wrapping around the waist to form a bow in the front and two stripes of ribbon around the hem of the dress and the sleeves. Hmm. It's actually not bad. It's pretty and modest. Good. Taking it to Winnakly, I look for her criticism before trying it on.

"Oh, it looks perfect!" She says.

Smiling at my find, I head to the dressing room, dress in hand. I put it in and it looks super cool. It's not too tight or short and it's a nice color. I love it. Stepping out, I try to hide my excitement but fail. A large grin overtakes my face.