34

MIA

I logged onto Amazon and scrolled through the hundreds of results.

Why was finding a Secret Santa gift so hard?

Also to add to my stress my Secret Santa was none other than:

Isla

I groaned.

I had to get her a Christmas gift and a Secret Santa. After searching unsuccessfully for over an hour I gave up.

I picked up my phone and texted.

Is Isla home?

Matt replied immediately. Mia Grant, are you trying to seduce me?

I laughed and replied. Is your mom home?

Yeah, he replied then after a minute, What are you up to?

I don't know what to get Isla for Christmas, I replied. I need all the help I can get. Tell your mom, Anna and Emma that I'll be over in like ten minutes.

Seriously? Matt texted.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Just tell them

Will do, he signed off.

I put on a light winter jacket and headed out.

+

Isla's mom met me at the door.

"I'll drive," she said, leading us towards a car.

I smiled at the twins. "Thanks for coming," I said.

"No problem," they said in unison.

I sat in the front passenger seat next to Isla's mom in awkward silence.

+

We got to the mall and headed into a few stores.

"How's Isla?" her mom asked.

"Doesn't she live with you?" I asked, rudely.

I of course knew all about Isla's fight with her mom. I also knew that though Isla was keeping her clothes at her parent's house she spent most of her days at my house and her nights, sleeping at either Bea and Beth's, or one of the guy's.

"She hasn't talked to me since we went dress shopping." Isla's mom sighed. "I messed up with her."

"What did you do?" I asked.

Isla had already told me her side of the story but, I had a feeling there was two sides to the story.

"I freaked out on her," she said. "Because she couldn't have children. I feel so stupid. I don't know how to parent a gay child, I don't want to fuck up so I just push her away."

I was at a loss for words.

Isla's mom turned from the rack she was sifting through to look at me. "Mia?" she asked. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah," I said. "I just wasn't expecting that answer."

She snorted. "I'm not just a cold hearted bitch without reason."

"Swear jar, mommy," one of the twins said.

She reached into her purse and took out a loonie. She handed it to Emma without turning back to face her. "I'm not," she said. "I love Isla, and I don't know how to deal with her, it's just better if she hates me."

"No offence," I said. "But that's kind of dumb."

She shrugged and turned back to the rack. "I know," she said. "But it works."

"Don't you want to have a relationship with Isla?" I asked.

"Mia, I would love to have a relationship with my eldest daughter," she said. "As I said before, she hates me."

"That can change," I said.

She turned to me, hope in her eyes.

"I mean," I said. "I could help."