36

MIA

Christmas came quickly.

Everyone is crowded in Will and Isla's basement as we reveal our secret Santa's.

Finnegan got Bea a gift card to her favourite store, Bea got Beth a bunch of old school comic books, Beth got Davis 2 a soccer ball, Davis 2 got Davis 1 a few shirts, Davis 1 got Will a new pair of cleats. Will got me some expensive perfume.

Finally it's mine turn to give a gift. "I got Isla," I said and slid the box over to her.

She opened it up.

"New gloves," I said. "For when you ride your bike."

Isla smiled and kissed me. "I got Finnegan," she said. "Here you go asshole."

Finnegan opened the box.

"When we were in grade five we made friendship bracelets," she explained. "You thought you lost yours, but this is what really happened to it."

Finnegan held up a string bracelet with beads that spelled out BFF.

I smiled.

"Thanks, Isla," he said.

"Welcome," she said and held up her hand with own friendship bracelet. "Best friends forever right?"

Finnegan smiled and nodded. "Best friends forever."

Mcallister spoke, "for secret Santa O'Connor and I got each other."

"So," O'Connor said. "We wanted to give our gift to you."

We all waited.

"I'm pansexual," O'Connor said.

"And I'm bi," said Mcallister.

They took each other's hand. "And we're together."

We cheered and congratulated the new couple.

+

"Hey," Isla said. "Come here."

I walked over to her. "What's up?" I asked.

She raised mistletoe above us. "Merry Christmas, Mia," she said before pressing her lips to mine.

When we pulled away I smiled. "I have a gift for you," I said.

"You didn't—"

"Yes I did," I interrupted. "It's Christmas, Isla."

She smiled at me. "That's true," she said. "What did you get me?"

I walked over to my bag and pulled out a small box. Walking back over to her I said, "I know you're not a jewellery type of girl but I thought you'd like this." I hand her the box.

She looks at me for confirmation before tearing open the packaging. "Oh, Mia." She lifted the necklace from the box.

The necklace was nothing more than a plain chain with a pendant of tiny handcuffs. A note inside the box said 'Partners in crime'.

"It's so beautiful," she said.

I took it from her hands and opened the clasp.
She turned around, facing her back to me and I closed the clasp at the back of her neck. She turned back to face me, the pendant in between her fingers. "I love it," she said. "And I love you more."

She pressed her lips to mine once again and I kissed her back before she pulled away.

"I have your Christmas gift upstairs, wait a bit?" she requested.

I nodded and Isla jogged out of the kitchen.

She came back a few moments later carrying two gift bags. "I didn't know whether I was supposed to be sentimental or thoughtful on our first Christmas so I did both." She held out the larger gift bag. "Open this first."

I took the gift bag from Isla's fingertips and opened it. Inside was a cookbook.

"You love to bake," she explained. "Your mom said you would like it."

"She was right," I said. "Thank you, Isla."

"Not done yet," she reminded and held out the other gift bag. "Open."

I placed the cookbook on the kitchen counter and took the smaller gift bag. Inside was a small velvet box. I opened the box to find a silver ring in the shape of a crown. Under the ring was a small paper 'I love you to the moon and back—fuck that I love you to hell and back'.

"Your grandma said and I quote that you would like the 'bling, bling'," Isla said.

"It's gorgeous," I said, slipping the ring onto my middle finger. "I love it and the note." I smiled. "Very you."

She smiled back at me. "So we survived your beard, crazy bitches, and a best friend who likes me, "she said ",what's next?"

I shrugged. "I don't know," I said. "I just know I'm ready as long as I'm with you."

And at that moment, with snow falling lightly outside and our friends laughing in the other room, Isla pressed her lips to mine once more and I kissed her back, because we had made it.

THE END.