The Light in My Dark

2 weeks...

2 pain dwelling weeks...

Yet, Frankly the smell of disinfectant was beginning to become the new fresh air.

2 weeks of staring at the shell of a fragile body, beginning to question whether she would be the same when she woke up.

Would she blame me?
Pack her bags and leave me ?

My biggest fear was now being alone without Alessa by my side.

After endless nights without sleep, Alonso forced me to go home and rest and actually have a wash.

But I didn't sleep that night.
Or the night after.
Or the night after that.

My mind had been swallowed up with fear and worry. Constantly turning thoughts on thoughts around in my mind.

The doctors had told me early that morning that she should be coming around once they rid her system of whatever drug that was pumping around her blood system.

It had been two hours since they disconnected her from the drug.

But to me, it seemed like an eternity.
The urge to hold her, to feel her soft skin underneath my fingertips are eating me. The want to run my hands through her hair overwhelmed me to the point that she had become the very air I breathe. And without her air, I wasted away, falling into my own darkness.

In that moment, Alonso then decided to open the door, walking in with Ali, her best friend that had become quite close to Alonso in the past two weeks.

Ali's tear stained cheeks had become a constant look along with puffy red cheeks and untameable hair. I knew of their closeness, it probably broke her as much as it broke me.

Alonso's gaze settled on me, his eyes reflecting the same question I had been throwing around inside my mind for the past two weeks.

When is she going to wake up?

Shrugging, I stood up to let Ali sit in my chair. Muttering a quick thank you, she settled down in the padded chair, her small hand reaching out to Alessa's,  fresh tears leaking down her blotched cheeks.

Walking out of the room, I closed the door behind me, letting Alonso come out after me.

Sighing, he lent against the frosted glass. His eyes dimmed by the endless nights of no sleep. Heavy bags hung silently underneath, adding age to his youth.

"What's happening now Angelo?" Alonso asked, his hands running through his unkept hair.

"I don't know, they said she should be coming around any time now, but it depends how long the drug decides to stay in her system for," I muttered, my eyes wavering from Alonso to the faint figure of Ali and Alessa next door.

"It's taken a serious toll on Ali though," Alonso muttered, his lips pursing in something I could only describe as worry.

I have a small smirk ," You've gotten quite close to her," I commented, folding my arms across my chest.

Letting out a small chuckle he shook his head, " Its not like that, we've just merged really well, just a close friend," he corrected, his eyes casting downward for a split second before returning to meet mine.

"Sure, that's what they all say," I teased, letting a small foreign smile curl at my lips.

"Whatever Angelo, tell Ali I'm getting us coffee," he said before turning on his sharp heel and heading down the corridor. Nurses and doctors crossing his path, pushing patients in wheelchairs other hurriedly writing down prescriptions.