He's Not O-Fucking-Kay

Frank walked into the school, taking in his surrounds. He breathed in the air. All of his hard work in school has led up to this moment, he mused. Freshman year. He laughed to himself at his own dramatic phrase. He was here earlier than most kids so he could quickly get his schedule, and find his classrooms before school started so he wouldn't get lost and end up in the wrong classroom. That was one of his school phobias. That, and sitting alone at lunch, but he never experienced that because he was, in his opinion, pretty well like. He supposed that's why sitting alone would be terrifying after getting all this attention from his peers.
After collecting his schedule from the gray-haired lady in the office, he wandered about the school searching for his classes until he spot some older boys, probably upperclassmen, pushing around a boy with bright red hair. Frank, being the savior he so proudly wanted to be, he ran over to them just as they were dragging the boy into the restroom, who didn't seem to be struggling. He slammed the restroom door open.

"Hey! Leave him alone!" He yelled. Both of the boys stopped hitting the boy with bright red hair and looked at him.

"Wanna take the beating for him instead?" They sneered. They didn't give him the chance to answer before charging towards him. Right at that moment, Frank realized he didn't know how to fight, but he has a lot of willpower and he knew they would tire out before he even passed out. He took the beating for the boy and he didn't even think about taking back his actions. Once they finally grew tired of beating up on them, they left after throwing a few homophobic slurs at them. Frank crawled over the red haired boy, ignoring the pain all over his body.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice slightly laced with pain. The boy didn't say anything, but instead helped Frank up. Frank didn't question where he was being taken, but didn't bother asking as the nurse's office came into view. The boy knocked on the door and waited patiently before the door opened.

"Hello there, Gerard. What can I do for you this morning?" She asked before finally noticing Frank. Gasping slightly, she took him from Gerard's care and helped him sit on the stool that was "conveniently" place in front of a mirror. Frank looked at his reflection and automatically wanted to throw up. He had a busted lip, one of his eyes was swollen shut, and he had a huge cut by his eyebrow.

"Oh, my God. I look like I went 3 rounds with Muhammad Ali!" Frank whined. The nurse gave him a chuckle while handing him an ice pack and putting a butterfly Band-Aid on the cut by his eyebrow.

"You know, you'll probably need another ice pack for your lip," she mumbled as she rushed over to get him one. Frank sat there for another minute before realizing that Gerard was already getting his backpack on again.

"Wait, are you leaving?" Frank asked him, grabbing his attention. He couldn't believe this kid! He got his ass handed to him for him and he's just going to leave without saying a word. Gerard turned to look at him briefly before walking out the door.

"Don't take it personally. Gerard is just being Gerard," the nurse explained.

"Why is he like that?" Frank asked. The nurse hesitated before answering.

"I'm not allowed to share that, dearie. Well, stay here for a few hours and then you can head off," she said. Frank nodded and stared out the window. Once fourth period rolled around, the nurse dismissed him with the instructions to ice his eye as soon as he gets home. As he's walking to his fourth period, he moves through all the kids crowding the hallway giving him weird looks because of his beat up face. He was so focused on Gerard that he forgot to ask the nurse if he could ice his ribcage, because it was currently in the process of killing him. Too late to turn back now, he thought to himself. It was only too late because he deemed himself too lazy at life and he just decided to embrace it. He spent his time until lunch, avoided getting attention, and searching the halls for Gerard. He was sitting down with his regular group of friends, who politely avoided bringing up his face, when he finally spotted the red headed boy. He was sitting outside by a tree, with what looked to be a sketchpad to him, in hand, and tongue peeking out in concentration. He quickly finished his food, told his friends he had to use the restroom, and left, quickly running outside. As he approached Gerard, he spoke up.

"Hey, what are you doing out here all alone?" Gerard seemed to slightly jump in surprise before relaxing when he saw Frank. He didn't answer, just kept drawing. As Frank drew closer, trying to get a look of what he was drawing, Gerard shut his sketchbook and shoved it in his bag.

"Sorry. I wasn't trying to peek or anything...much," he admitted. When he didn't receive an answer, he sat next him and just sat in silence for a while. Since Gerard didn't get up to move, he assumed he was all right with him.

"So, I was in class today, of course, and, like, everyone was polite enough to not mention how my face looked like death and all his friends had an orgy on it!" He exclaimed, laughing at his own joke. He didn't receive a reaction from him and his laugh trailed off to a nervous chuckle.

"So, like, what's your deal? You're that one mysterious kid who doesn't talk because-" he was rudely interrupted when Gerard pulled out his earphones and plugged them in, putting them on what sounded like full blast. Frank wanted to rip his own eyebrows off. That was so rude! He thought. He just sat there in silence until the bell rang and he tapped Gerard's shoulder to let him know, and then got up himself. Once again, nothing was said to him, as Gerard walked away, leaving him behind. Again.

The rest of the day, Frank tried approaching Gerard whenever he saw him, but was skillfully avoided. Either he would duck away into his classroom, blend in with a crowd which worked pretty well despite his bright colored hair, plugged his earphones in and kept walking, stuck his nose in a book, or just straight up ignored him.

Frank walked his way into the upperclassmen's hall and started asking around. All the people he asked gave him the same two names of the people he should ask.

Ray and Bob.

It took him a while after school to find them, and he only found them because Ray's Afro reached above the rest of the people. They were walking out the school gate when he caught them by their wrists. They quickly turned around to look at who grabbed them and then looked down at the small looking little boy with a piercing. They shared a look.

"Damn, little kids are growing up super fast now," Ray told Bob, who nodded in agreement. Frank's eyebrow twitched.

"I'm not a little kid. I'm 16," he said in-between gritted teeth. They laughed at him until they realized he wasn't joking.

"Holy shit, sorry, man. It's just, you know," Bob explained as he gestured to Frank up and down. He nodded.

"Yeah, I know. Height. Whatever. Listen my name is Frank and I heard you could tell me about Gerard. The boy with the red hair," he explained. They gave him a sad look.

"Why do you want to know about him?" Ray asked.

"I took a beating from a couple of guys who were beating up on him. He never said a word to me. I got a little curious, you know."

"Curiosity killed the cat, Frank," Ray said. Bob hummed in agreement.

"Yeah, but satisfaction brought it back," he said. They gave him a confused look. Frank sighed.

"That's the full saying. Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back," he explained. "Anyway, I just want to know his story. I approached him at lunch, too, and tried to for the rest of the day, but he never said anything to me. So tell me about Gerard Way," Frank demanded. They two boys, who used to be really close to Gerard, gave each other a look full of sorrow.

"He lost his best friend," Ray answered. Frank's mind drifted back to Gerard and his heart clenched in his chest.

Gerard needed a friend.

Everyone needs a friend.

"It was his brother," Bob said. Frank froze.

"What?"

"His brother, Mikey, killed himself this past year. Gerard pushed all of his friends away and his grades went from top to shit. Mikey was his everything, and he lost him. We all lost him," Ray explained. Frank noticed the tears in his eyes, and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry, Frank. We have to go. See you around," Bob said as he led Ray away. That's it, he thought, I'm going to help him. And Ray and Bob. No one deserves to be alone.