Epilogue-To The End

These three years had passed by in a flash. One moment, Gerard and Frank had kissed one final time in the record store before Gerard left for his future and the next, Frank was walking across the stage giving his own speech and accepting his diploma. Gerard and Frank had remained very good friends for first two years, but as time went past, they grew distant. Gerard became busier with his projects and Frank remained focused on his schoolwork to distract himself from how lonely he felt without his best friend. Eventually, all contact was lost. Although this bothered Frank deeply, he understood that Gerard was living his life and this was, after all, what he had wanted from day one. After the principal spoke the final words, setting it in stone that he was no longer in high school, he quickly left the field in search of his mother, John, and Helena.

"Congratulations, Frankie," he heard someone speak from behind him. He smiled as he turned around, quickly knowing who it was. There stood Gerard, the man who still had his heart after all these years. What caught him off guard was the woman standing next to him. She looked around Gerard's age. Her black hair fell over her shoulders joining together in two separate ponytails, but her bright red lipstick is the first thing Frank found his eyes on, because he felt she wore it well. She was beautiful and his stomach twisted in knots, knowing who she was to the man of his dreams.

"Thanks, Gerard. I didn't know you were going to be in town," he answered, trying to steady his voice. He was scared to hear the words come from the older man himself, but he braced himself for what was to come. Gerard stepped forward and gave the graduate a hug. They had both grown taller, but Gerard still towered over Frank.

"I wouldn't miss your graduation. This is Lindsey, by the way. My fiancée," he explained as he gestured to the woman. She smiled brightly at him and also stepped forward, sticking her hand out. Even though Frank felt his heart breaking, he managed to smile and shake her hand without his eyes tearing up.

"It's nice to meet you," he said. He was thankful for how loud it was or the hurt in his voice might have sounded obvious.

"It's nice to meet you as well. I've heard so many great things about you from Gerard!" He smiled at her kind words and enthusiasm. He looked back to Gerard who seemed to have an apology in his eyes, but he smiled and shook his head at him, silently telling him he understood. He held no ill-will towards the older man. This was expected, after all. Gerard moved to a big city and went to an art school where he would meet many different people just like him. He was a happy person now and he became much brighter causing his personality to bloom more. He became more approachable; He was easy to love and even harder to hate.

"How have your parents and Helena been?" Gerard asked. The older male owed his life to the entire family for taking him in as one of their own and treating him no differently from their own blood.

"They're doing well. They should be looking for me, so I better get going," Frank answered, wanting to get as far away from the couple as possible. He gave Gerard one last smile and turned away just as his eyes watered and the tears fell. He couldn't be upset with anyone, not even himself. This was meant to happen. They didn't belong together. Gerard was too ready to take on the world, and Frank didn't have a spot next to him. Their futures were too different; Gerard was going to be a great artist and, despite his grades being top notch, Frank's future was undecided. It didn't take him long to find his parents and it didn't take them long to find that something was wrong with their son.

"What's wrong, baby?" His mother asked as she wiped his tears away. Over his shoulder, she saw Gerard holding the hand of woman, but his eyes lingering on her son, something about them being full of love and something like regret.

"Nothing, mom. I'm just... happy that Gerard can finally stand on his own feet. He doesn't need me anymore," he told her. Linda was surprised; she was sure Gerard was going to wait for her son. She sighed softly, putting an arm around his shoulders and they walked away with him to their car. On the drive home, Frank leaned his head against the window watching the other cars pass the opposite way in a blur. His heart had already fallen to a billion little pieces inside his chest, but he had to go on. He knew, from day one, he could never be with Gerard. This was something he would just have to live with.