Chapter 5

"So you're a good girl?" I give my little sister a grin as she spins around in front of us in pride. Nafisah nods her head as she grabs onto the dress she is wearing and tugs at it. She lowers her gaze, shyly, pretending to feel awkward with all the praise we are providing her with. I know her too well to know that she's actually loving every second of it.

"That's awesome!" Maria beams from besides me and leans forward to grab Nafisah before pulling her onto her lap. "My little Nafisah is awesome!"

Nafisah giggles shyly and wraps her arms around Maria's neck. "Mrs. Connor says that I'm at the top of her class...whatever that means..." She furrows her eyebrows as she thinks, making me laugh lightly. "Does that mean I'm the biggest? Or standing at the top?!"

Maria shakes her head and grabs onto Nafisah hair bobble to pull it off. Her fingers dig into her hair and skim through it. "It means that you are really, really clever! You're cleverer than your friends!"

I knit my eyebrows together. "Is that even a word?"

Nafisah gasps. "Really?!" She jumps off Maria's lap and claps her hands excitedly.

"Really." Maria confirms before standing up to grab my comb off my dressing table. She just completely ignored what I said. Is it me or is it the fact that when my little sister is around everyone tends to forget that I'm in the room? Hm.

Nafisah giggles for the billionth time as she is placed onto the floor. Maria sits back onto my bed and begins to run my comb through her hair - she's always loved little kids. It's honestly a shame that she doesn't have a little sister of her own as she's constantly moaning about the fact that she doesn't have one.

They both carry on with their conversation and I take this time to slip out of my room and into the corridor after securing my Hijab on my head. Closing the door behind me, I make my way downstairs and into the kitchen. My lips twist as I begin to decide on what to make. I'm not much of a cook but hey, I guess Pasta sounds good.

After bringing out everything I need, I spin around to face the closed door and raise my hand. I gently lift off Mum's apron off the hook and place it onto my torso, making sure to secure it at the back with the lace. I smile down at it before washing my hands and beginning to chop up the onions.

I remember being young and watching my Mum cooking, how I'd sit at the table gazing at every move she made. She'd turn around with a fond smile upon her beautiful face and hand me a plate of sliced cucumbers before softly pinching my cheek. I don't remember much about her but the memories I have of her, I'm holding onto so dearly.

I'm nearly done with cooking the Pasta when Rimsha walks in. She gives me a forced smile and I look away, beginning to pour the sauce onto the boiled pasta. She stands besides me, scraping her finger nails against the counter top. I grit my teeth once I realise that her obsessive compulsive disorder is kicking in - the mess I've left needs to be cleaned up as soon as possible.

"Are- are you done, Alvina?" She stutters a little and I look at her. She purses her lips and raises her eyebrows, waiting for me to begin the long boring process.

I shake my head. "I'll clean up when we've ate."

"Hm." The sides of her jaw clench tightly and I hold back the urge to laugh.

I watch her from the corner of my eyes as she reaches for a pan and then stops midway, her hand beginning to shake. This makes me cock an eyebrow and then roll my eyes once she lowers it back down. Rimsha pulls back some hair behind her ear and walks behind me to the other side. She begins to observe me. One thing that really gets on my nerves is when people decide to watch my every move, analysing me. Everyone needs to know that.