Chapter 14

Living in the UK has its advantages: education, health care, safety and much more which I am extremely grateful for seeing as people all over the world would do anything to live the way that I live and my struggles definitely don't  compare to theirs. Alhamdulillah.

However, one thing bugs me from time to time? The weather.

I try my best to fight against the violent wind as it sends my abaya and headscarf behind me. Rain splatters against the ground, causing puddles to form and clumsy me ends up splashing her ginormous feet into a few.

After a few more minutes, I reach warmth and bright lights however I'm now soaking wet. If I had know that the weather was going to change drastically  within the span of half an hour, I would have never decided to take a trip to the supermarket.

I quickly turn to my side and walk towards the toilets, holding up my wet abaya in the process to prevent leaving a stream of water in the direction I'm heading. I look up to smile at an employee who is sat at the front desk and she slumps her shoulders back.

"It's horrible out there, isn't it?" The middle aged woman gives me a sympathetic smile from behind the counter and I nod in agreement.

"Definitely." I laugh before walking into the women's washroom. After standing at the hand drier for a good twenty minutes drying my abaya and headscarf, I emerge back into the supermarket with a relieved smile upon my face.

Grabbing a basket from the front, I begin to make my way towards the grocery section; the house has been needing a top up. I pick up a few fruits and other household items before making my way towards the confectionery.

Be considerate, Alvina.

I definitely have to restrain myself from overspending as every time I do, it's either on sweets, clothes or sweets; there is no inbetween.

I bite on my lips in deep consideration about the amazing variety of sweets sitting in front of me, neatly stacked on the shelves.

Chocolate or fizzy strings?!

I quickly grab the fizzy strings and throw it into the basket I'm holding before walking further down the aisle. I pick up a jar of pear drops for Nafisah, dark chocolate for Rimsha and also a few different types of chewy sweets for Kamil.

The night that Kamil had come home was tiring. Seeing as he is still bruised, I can't help but feel a tad bit sorry for the guy. He is my step brother after all and I am human!

Shrugging at my thoughts, my eyes travel to the top shelf and a small smile curls onto my lips. I stand on the tips of my toes and reach out for the last chocolate orange ball, struggling to do so until it suddenly slips out from my sight. I knit my eyebrows and fall back onto the soles of my feet before spinning to face the perpetrator. How dare they?

I purse my lips into a thin line when I face them however it immediately spreads into a wide grin once I recognise who it is. A warm feeling bubbles inside of myself as I watch him inspect the chocolate sphere with exaggerated great interest, clearly pleased with it as he nods his head happily. "Hey!" I whine, touching his leg lightly with my basket. "That's mine!"

"Oh," He dramatically startles when he looks up from the chocolate and at me, his cheery grey eyes meeting mine. I watch as his lips twitch at the sides yet he struggles to stop himself from smiling. "Alvina. I didn't see...see-" He coughs awkwardly and pulls his lips wide before instantly giving in and bursting out laughing at his own behaviour.

I join in with his laughter before quickly stopping and placing my free hand onto my hip and tilting my head, raising an eyebrow at my favourite Uncle. He chuckles for a while and I'm not surprised when he has to wipe a tear from the corner of his eye.