Chapter 22

Sometimes we have to make quick decisions in a short amount of time; maybe because we're running late, pressurised to do something or your life is in danger. I make fast assumptions without really thinking much which doesn't do well for me at times. Either way, making a quick decision means fast actions.

My body is numb against the ice-cold water that now surrounds me, causing my body to shiver. My hitched breaths come out a white fogs, swirling before me but disappearing into the night within seconds. The freezing water pulls me down and I feel myself moving along with its waves however I am able to latch onto the side of the river where a few rocks sit. It isn't very deep but in order for my feet to touch the bottom it means that my whole body and face will have to sink with it. I don't know how long I will be able to endure this temperature as I await for the arrival of the man.

From the distance I watch the tree in which Hudayfah and Nafisah sit on, silently praying that they aren't caught. Hudayfah has his head poking out from between the leaves, keeping an eye on me and I give him a reassuring smile although it's hard to force one out when my whole body is freezing. His face is full of worry and his brows are knitted, I'm quite sure that crease on his forehead is deep.

I mouth an "I'm okay," to him and he purses his lips, his arms around my sister as he holds her tight. He then looks down beneath him and his head then snaps to me before urgently signalling for me to duck.

The sound of leaves crunching makes me release a tensed sigh. I await the presence of the man as I bring my body nearer to the edge closest to him in order to be able to hide out of his sight. I peer over the edge, trying to catch sight of his boots from behind a bush although I know he will be stood above me in seconds and I need to duck now. However I'm not the best at holding my breath for too long and God knows how long the guy will stand there...so I wait.

I sense Hudayfah's eyes on me but I don't flicker mine to meet his knowing that sparing a glance away could literally cost me my life. I bite down on my dry lips, breathing through my nose and shivering from the cold.

My teeth chatter against one another whilst my limbs become senseless, the anticipation for the man torturing me. My mind randomly drifts back to the people on the Titanic and how they must have felt within the freezing cold water, stranded for hours on end. I can't even handle this never mind that.

My eyes snap up when a deep voice speaks out, speaking to themselves as they approach where I am. I gasp when I catch sight of large boots making their way closer to the river from behind the billions of leaves, my heart beginning to race. I pull myself closer to the side of the river, immediately ducking my head further down in order to hide. Once I realise that he's now stood directly above me, his dark eyes searching across the water and his surroundings I take a deep breath before pulling my head under water.

The cold slaps my skin as the gush of bubbles flow past my ears and the sting causes my eyelids to fall. Though I'm beneath the water I can still make out the muffled sound of the man's rough voice, clearly frustrated with his situation. My mind yells at me to surface as my heart hammers against my chest, my panic levels rising.

A childhood memory flashes through my mind where I was swimming in the pool and tried to stand, however my feet couldn't reach the bottom and so I began to drown. It was claustrophobic and extremely worthy of a panic attack as I gasped for air before my instructor grabbed my hand and pulled me up, not even bothering to hide the fact that she was bored.

I'm suddenly dragged out of my reverie as a gunshot slices through the surface of the water, my eyes snapping open in shock. I almost gasp, causing myself to swallow the cold, dirty water. Due to this, my head suddenly floats to the top and I take a deep breath in, forgetting to keep myself quiet. I hold back from choking as I catch sight of the man looking around the river, his back facing me. The moment he's about to turn to face me I quickly yet quietly pull myself back under water, holding my body closer to the edge.