Chapter 16

After having prayed Fajr and getting dressed for College, I make my way down the stairs as quietly as possible.

The house is quiet as Kamil and his Mother are still sleeping. I honestly don't know what time she came in but it definitely was late due to being awoken (on my bedroom floor) by her loud entrance into the house.

I tiptoe towards the kitchen, the cold sitting on the laminate floor seeping through my cotton socks. I push the door open, hoping that no-one is sitting at the table. Scanning the room, I recognise that the vase which smashed into pieces last night is no longer in sight.

Within seconds, I brush aside my confusion once I hear movement coming from upstairs. Yanking the fridge door open, I throw a few snacks into my bag pack in a hurry to get out of the house safely. Once I'm done, I quickly walk back into the corridor to pick my jacket off the rack. My head turns to the side to look up the stairs, clearly not wanting a certain person to catch me.

Slipping on my jacket and shoes on at the same time as fast as I can, I secure my bag pack on my back before striding towards the front door. I unlock it with the key inside of my bag, tutting at myself for not having it with me last night when I was in desperate need of it.

Once I'm outside, the cold air envelopes me and I sigh in relief. I swing the door shut and proceed to walk out of the garden, my chest feeling lighter with every step I take away from the house.

The sun hasn't risen fully so the sky is a dark grey and the world is quiet. The wind causes the leaves on the trees to dance slowly, the sound making my insides calm. Taking in a deep breath, the smell of last night's rain invades my senses and I close my eyes to enjoy the moment.

Nature and I.

The cold air touches my torso, making me realise that my jacket is still unzipped. Opening my eyes, I fasten it up before slipping my hands into the pockets.

My head turns back to glance at the house, it's build wearing away and the colours of the bricks fading. I sigh at the sight before repressing any unhappy emotions from arising and instead turn away with a smile across my face.

Today is going to be a good day.

Dropping my bagpack to the ground, I pull out the chair before taking a seat at the table.

The class is quiet and I scan the room. Unsurprisingly, everyone is tapping away at their smartphones instead of communicating with one another as per usual.

"Hey there, stranger," A deep, Australian accent comes from besides me. I'm met by sharp blue eyes which greet me happily. "How're you, Alvina?"

"Jack," I laugh lightly and wave at him although he sits on the chair besides mine. "Hey there! I'm good, what about you?"

He grins, showing off his pearly whites. "Great! Although I'm underdressed and freezing!"

"You're still not used to this weather, hey?" I shake my head at him and he shrugs his shoulders.

Australia's weather is so much better than UK's weather for sure which is another reason why I'm dying to visit the amazing country!

"I'm getting there," He argues playfully as he unpacks his bag, bringing out the contents needed for the lesson. "It's summer soon, right?!"

"Which will last three seconds so don't get too happy." I reply as I do the same, grabbing out my eccentric pencil case.

The last few students pour into class with solemn looks on their tired faces, clearly not happy to be here this early in the morning.