Chapter 20

Ever gotten to the point where your nerves are rising so fast you think you're going to explode from anxiety? Well, that was me an hour ago; sneaking out of the house during the early morning without getting caught was nerve wracking. My heart was racing when we finally clambered into Hudayfah's car, a sleepy Nafisah at my side but when we finally drove away from the house I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief.

The day is dull and the grey clouds hug the sun, blocking out any warmth. The many trees we pass sway side to side, the leaves skimming one another as they do so. It's windy yet all I can hear is the sound of the car moving and Nafisah's soft snoring.

"Hey!" Hudayfah laughs suddenly, turning his head to look back at me with a grin as he slows the car down. "Did you see that?! I beat him!" His face is full of glee, almost like an over excited child.

I turn my head slowly, looking down at Nafisah who stirs in he sleep, her head now resting on my lap. "Shush, Hudayfah, she's sleeping!" I whisper yell at him as I run a hand through Nafisah's hair, undoing her knots gently.

Hudayfah look back at us when he stops at a red light, pursing his lips. "Oops, sorry Nemo!" He whispers to Nafisah as if she's not sleeping. His grey eyes then move to meet mine and he furrows his eyebrows, pouting his lips. I raise an eyebrow, sighing tiredly when I do so. "...You called me Hudayfah."

I try not to laugh and instead shrug my shoulders, knitting my eyebrows in confusion. He then huffs playfully. "You call me Hud, not Hudayfah. That just sounds so wierd coming out of your mouth!"

At this, I can't help but burst out laughing although making sure not to wake Nafisah. I shake my head at him although he's turned back to face the road ahead, driving towards the exit of the motorway. For some reason I find myself staring at the side of his head, the only part in my view.

He didn't ask much about this trip and my reasons for wanting to go was poor yet he wasn't very bothered about it which is strange yet...sweet. Hudayfah isn't one to be up for many things and I've described him as being lazy as bad as that sounds, however he was up to take us on this road trip at his own will. He didn't argue with me, just simple playful comments to wind me up. I'm sure he has other commitments within Uni but here he is, driving us to God knows where.

"Hey," I speak up, leaning forward in my seat and fixing my loose headscarf. "Where exactly are we going?"

Hudayfah turns to me and shrugs his shoulders. "You should know. You're the one who wanted to kill all of my petrol!" He laughs as he focuses on the road ahead, his eyes narrowed slightly as he reads a sign planted above us.

"Uh...well," I say, furrowing my brows, looking out of the window besides me and watching the houses start to disappear slowly, the further we go, the more of the countryside we begin see. "Where are you driving? You've been going for over an hour."

I'm confused about our situation, thinking about our final destination. I honestly have no idea where to go but I was hoping that Hudayfah would have had somewhere planned to take the two of us. Now I'm just stuck; we can't keep driving for hours and end up turning back - that's just pointless.

"Stop stressing, Al!" He suddenly laughs at me, his eyes meeting mine through the rear-view mirror. His grin widens when my frown deepens, shaking his head playfully at me. "There's this residential about another hour away. They provide outdoor and indoor activities for families -Nafisah will love it."

My smile sits on my face for a while, staring at his side profile. He actually planned something for us with Nafisah in mind. If I could hug the guy I would but you know, let's not go that far. I open my mouth to speak but he stops me from doing so.