Chapter 18

I don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed thinking about the way I had begged Maria to come with me. At this point in time, I just really need to get away from my house just for a little while in order to clear my mind, however it's hard when you don't have a car nor someone to go with. Maria was confused as to why I suddenly wanted a 'road trip' when exam season is coming up yet I didn't want to let her know exactly why.

I obviously had to let her know about the proposal and what happened while Zach had visited with his parents. She had been suspicious about the way I'd lied to her about not knowing what was going on with it when in actual fact, at the end of that week Rimsha and his parents had set a date for our engagement. Of course I had felt totally horrible for lying to my best friend but I was grateful that she couldn't see my burning face and worried expression through the line.

I haven't been going to College for the past few days and my exams are the last thing on my mind, the whole proposal shenanigans doesn't want to leave my head. Not that I've been counting or anything, but I've had around three panic attacks just thinking about that day and what happened before it.

Speaking of what happened before it, I've been trying my ultimate best to avoid Kamil and his Mother, however due to living in the same house as them...It's kinda hard. Everytime I'd bump into Rimsha, I couldn't help but tighten my jaw at her overly happy expressions whereas bumping into Kamil is the complete opposite: fear, anxiety and shamefully portraying weakness.

Ugh.

After placing the hoover in its rightful place, I stand up whilst ripping my earphones out from under my hijab before placing it into my pocket along with my phone. I wash my hands and make my way out into the corridor after drying them against my skirt. The building is quiet and I furrow my eyebrows once I reach Hudayfah's mini office, confused as to why he isn't here yet.

He's probably still at University.

I shrug off the thought and instead focus on what's ahead. My smile grows bigger with every step I take, the blurred glass door coming closer in reach. I let out a little giggle before quickly composing myself in order not to seem like a wierd teenage girl who is acting like an over excited child.

Bringing my fist to the glass, I knock ever so lightly and my smile grows wider (if that's even possible) once a familiar voice instantly calls out.

I push the door open and peek my head in, grinning at the middle aged man who is sat at his desk in front of his computer. He beams at me whilst waving his hand enthusiastically, making me laugh.

"I've done!" I make my way inside, leaving the door open due to the growing warmth in the office.

"And me!" Uncle Walid hits the keyboard dramatically before standing up with such force that his chair rolls back and hits the wall behind him. He strides over to his mini fridge as I jump onto the windowsill, throwing my legs back and forth. "Milk?"

I mock gag at him and he chuckles before throwing me a can of lemonade and grabs out a mini bottle of milk for himself. We both take a sip of our drinks with me totally loving the feel of the cold liquid entering my system after the hard work of cleaning this building.

Uncle Walid suddenly gags this time, his face contorting with disgust as he holds out the milk bottle away from his face, glaring at it. "Blergh!" He cries, his tongue which has white liquid on it flops out of his mouth. "It's gone off!"

I laugh in amusement, watching as he tightens the cap back on before flinging it into his bin, clearly unhappy about his current situation. He turns his head to look at me, his eyebrows are furrowed and his frown deepens when he catches my grin.