Chapter 11

"Whatever!" I let out an exasperated sigh and look back at the class full of students. "It was actually my idea!"

Most of them laugh at us, clearly amused by the mini argument we had just had in front of them whilst presenting our work.

"Don't listen to her!" Ahmed flicks his hand in my direction, however keeps his gaze fixed on our peers. "She didn't even want to write! She's so lazy!"

I gasp and place a hand over my mouth. "Excuse you?! I did write," I roll my eyes and turn back to our class to meet their amused looking faces. "This-"

"Alright guys!" Helen- our relaxed teacher- chuckles and steps forward, cutting me off. "Take a seat, great presentation...until your little fight!"

The class claps meekly but it is overruled by their laughter as Ahmed struts his way back to our table but not before flicking back some imaginary hair behind his shoulder. I glare at him from behind and take my seat at the desk.

"Great work, guys." Jack says in his heavy Australian accent. "It was actually good! Until you messed it up, dude." He looks at Ahmed with a raised eyebrow and I nod my head in agreement with a pout on my lip.

Hell yeah, he's on my side!

Yaqoob sits in front of me and snickers as Ahmed fires back at Jack with mock hurt. "I did not mess it up, Jackson!"

I hear Jack mutter under his breathe about his full name being said, making me laugh.

"Uh, excuse me," I raise my index finger to speak and Ahmed's eyes snap to mine. "I agree with Jack, you definitely messed it up! Blaming me-"

"Bla bla bla," He throws his head back and sticks his tongue out. Ahmed snaps his head back to look at me, however his face holds boredom as he waves his arms around.

Yaqoob bursts out laughing.

"Wow, dude." Jack begins with a shake of his head, his hair moving swiftly as he does so. "So not cool. She's a lady and you're being so rude."

So true.

I sniff my nose before fanning my face dramatically, as if I'm about to cry. "I just- he just never-"

"Oh boo hoo, Alvina!" The sides of Ahmed's lip twitches as he tries not to laugh. "You're mean to me!"

I shake my head and open my mouth to argue back but Jack beats me to it. "Hey, didn't you tell me that women have a high status in Islam?" His blue eyes bore into mine and I hold back from squealing due to him remembering what I said to him months ago, probably. "Which means...that, er- they should be respected?"

"Eek!" I beam at him with an excited clap, making him chuckle. "We are! Especially Mothers because heaven lies under their feet!" I randomly mention a fact to him and he nods his head as he takes in the information.

"But you're not my Mother," Ahmed blurts and I roll my eyes. "Stupid."

"It was just a random fact!" I cry, realising  that it didn't apply to what we were talking about. "Shush, Ahmed."

He holds his hands up at me in surrender with a smirk on his face. Yaqoob snorts and I mock glare at him to make him shut up to which he does.