Chapter 21

Do you ever feel like just giving up and letting everything grow even worse than it already is? I definitely have that growing urge all the time, wishing that somehow everything will just take it's sudden toll and finally get out of my hair. However in my current situation giving up is definitely not an option.

The cold wind whooshes past my face as the soles of my feet slap the ground beneath. We reach bend in the road yet unsurprisingly it still goes on, although I don't give it much thought. I turn my head to notice the man is edging closer towards us, only causing us to increase the speed we are racing at. My heart hammers against my chest and I pant for breath, tiredness enveloping my worn out body.

"That way!" Hudayfah barks, looking to our right and into the clusters of trees which are planted on the side of the never-ending road. He looks back at the guy before his eyes widen and turn to alarm me. "NOW!"

The forest looks extremely scary and seems as if it's some sort of relentless maze. I've always hated the thought of being surrounded by them, mostly because of the stories people made up about being stuck within them. Personally, I really don't want to step foot inside there but being chased by a maniac means that it's not such a bad idea; I guess we could lose him within nature.

Before I even realise what's happening, Hudayfah pushes past me with Nafisah, racing into the trees and his figure begins to fade from my view. I gasp, stopping in my tracks to look back at the distance between the guy and I, bile running up my throat when his set of crooked, charcoal teeth come into view. I hear my name being yelled and within seconds, my feet are running into the woods, my heart thumping erratically in my chest and my mind telling me to take a breather.

I don't stop. I can't stop.

My eyes bulge out of my sockets when I nearly crash into the bark of a tree, shrieking when I nearly slam into it. I dodge past dozens of tree trunks, jumping over the over-grown roots which stick out of the dirt. My legs start slowing down as the weight on my back makes it harder for me to run but I strive harder to get away from the psycho.

The leaves rustle above me as the wind hits them whilst a pitter patter of rain begins to fall softly in between the several small gaps. It's dark and claustrophobic where we're running and in any given day I would lose my mind, resulting in yet another panic attack but today is different and I have no time to lose. My eyes try scanning around me, in search of Hudayfah and Nafisah but I've lost them within the hundreds of timber, unable to catch sight of them.

"You can't run, Muslim!" I hear a high-pitched, raspy voice yell from behind me and I spin around to notice the guy catching up on me. He smirks evilly, beginning to take long strides towards my frozen body as I've suddenly stopped, panting for breath. His hand plays with the gun it holds before throwing his head back and laughing. "You're making this so boring! Run for me!"

He's edging closer towards me, trying to close the gap between us but I take a few steps backwards, trying to create some distance. To my luck, my back ends up hitting a tree trunk. My mind yells at me to run but my body is exhausted from doing so. I breathe heavily, trying to steady my breathing once again but it's hard. My mouth is dry as I swallow and my face forms beads of sweat.

"What do...you want f-from us?" I pant as I narrow my eyes at the middle aged man who is now standing in front of me with a grin and I notice his few missing teeth, the remainders looking like charcoal. His beard lets a few crumbs slip when he runs his free hand through it and his bushy brows rise when I exhale.

My simple question makes him throw his head back before bursting out into heavy laughter, finding it hilarious. "Oh, nothing really!" He laughs harder, his saliva spraying out onto my burning face, making me cringe.