Chapter 8

Hello!
If you don't usually read author notes, then you might want to at least skim through this one.

Many readers have told me that the cover was what drew them to read this book. So, if the cover was the reason you chose to click on this book, then what about it caught your eye?

If it wasn't the cover, then I'd love to know what led you to read this!

Also, I'm thinking of changing the title to plain "Winged." It was already an idea I had, and then some of you guys mentioned it, so I thought it must not be that bad. Any thoughts?

Now, I have been asked by a reader if I could remind you guys what Hailey and Chase looked like, so here it is:

-Hailey: She has long brown hair and sparkling green eyes. Her feathers are snow white except for the shimmering emerald strands in them.

-Chase: He has messy dark-brown hair and his eyes are a lighter brown. His feathers are various shades of brown, with the feathers on the top and tip of the wing being the darkest shade -that is, the color of his hair.

Both teenagers have a wingspan that's roughly a bit longer than the length of their arms if they stretch them out to the side.

Oh! And definitely check out the fan art of @thecrazyvals on the side! Let's just take sometime to gape at how awesome it is...

The next update will be in about 2 weeks (from today, November 30). That means I can't update sooner, sorry!

It also means the story isn't over. For some reason, a few people thought I had decided to leave the story unfinished...

And before we go, happy birthday @Bubbley30! :)

And so sorry for that really long A/N... I'll just blame it on the character description.. Seriously though, I promise the next one'll be shorter.

(To the people who were confused what an author note was: all this above ^ is an author note:)

Chapter 8

When we got back to Mortimer's house, Chase was waiting for us impatiently.

"Well, how did it go? Did you fly? I was so bored here, you wouldn't believe it. What are you waiting for? Tell me everything!"

"It was amazing!" I beamed. "Flying is the most amazing thing ever."

"It is, isn't it?" Chase smiled widely back at me. "So did you have any trouble at all?"

"Not really. I mean it was a bit difficult, but it felt natural. Although I will admit I freaked out a bit when Mortimer pushed me over the edge of the cliff."

These words had barely left my mouth when it suddenly dawned on me why Chase had been so disappointed he wasn't going to be the one to teach me how to fly. My suspicions were confirmed when Chase laughed and said, "Man, I wish I had been there!"

"You!" I glared at him. He must have realized the conclusion I had come to, as he gave me a big, innocent smile.

"Yes?"

"You wanted to teach me to fly just so you could push me off the cliff!" Chase started laughing again and I huffed. "You're such a meanie!"

"Aw, come on, Hailey, you know it was just a joke!"

I tried to glare at him, but the smile that played on my lips told him I wasn't truly mad.

Mortimer, who had watched this exchange with an amused look, said, "Well, Chase, you'll be happy to know Hailey is a very good flyer. If the weather stays calm, you'll be able to go to Aeolus soon."