Chapter 38

Okay, so apparently you were waiting for Chailey longer than I realized...
I'd say about 1/3 of the comments on last chapter were about the kiss;)

-------------
Chapter 38

Sperodyfis was great, but it was absolutely impossible to get a private moment. More precisely, it was impossible to get a private moment with the boy who just kissed you the night before.

Autumn and I hadn't slept much as we had spent half of the night talking about Chase and boys in general, but Aiden was obviously well-rested and more excited than ever. He was also completely clueless about Autumn's efforts to get Chase and I alone.

He seemed to calm down once we'd eaten lunch, and the four of us went to sit down on the dew-covered grass, each in our own thoughts.

"I hope they're all fine back in Sol," Aiden was, unsurprisingly, the first one to break the silence.

Autumn nodded. "Yeah, I hope my family's okay."

"Mine, too," Aiden said.

"They wouldn't go to the human world, now that I'm gone, would they?" I inquired.

"Don't worry, about your father," Chase reassured me. "All enemy troops are focused on Aeolus, and there hasn't been sight of even one of them since I brought you back here."

Autumn put her hand on my arm. "I'm sure he's fine. If anything had happened it would have been reported immediately."

"Do you think your mother's still alive?" Aiden asked, receiving a look from Chase. His eyes widened, "Sorry, didn't think. That's probably a bit insensitive."

I waved it away, "It's fine. Yes, I do think she's alive. It's as if, if she wasn't, I'd know. Or at least that's what I want to believe. My dad and my grandpa seem to think she's still alive, though. I want to find her, you know. I'm not sure how to yet, but now that I know she's a Winged, I'm already so much closer than when I made myself a promise to find her, two years ago. I want to know why she left, the way she talks, the way she laughs..." I trailed off, feeling my eyes sting a bit.

"Even if you find her, how do you know she'll want to talk to you, though?" Chase asked. Aiden sent him a 'look who's being insensitive now!'-glare.

"Hey, don't look at me like that. If she left, she probably had a good reason."

"She's her mother!" Autumn seemed a bit taken aback by Chase's reaction, but then so was I. "Of course she'll be glad to see her. Even if she had a good reason, she probably was crying the whole time, thinking of leaving her baby girl."

Chase snorted. "What do you know about that?"

Aiden sat up, an anxious glint in his eyes. "You guys, look! Isn't that rock beautiful? I'm gonna name it-"

"I know because all mothers love their children," Autumn ignored Aiden.

Aiden gave up trying to distract them. "Okay, Chase, you have mommy issues, we get it. Both of you calm down."

"I don't have mommy issues. My mother is the one with the issues." Chase unconsciously proved Aiden's point.

"Come on, Chase. Your mother is trying to be forgiven. I know you threw away the stuff she sent you for your birthday without even opening it," He said accusingly.

"So what if I did? I do what I want. And if she regrets what she did, then good, but maybe she should have thought of that before."

"Come on," Aiden started.

"You have no idea, Aiden. Your mom is a sweet lady who always goes out of her way to find me birthday presents even thought she knows very well she doesn't have to. She was there when I was named Second in Command. My mother wasn't. So stop pretending you understand." Chase was standing, now.