Chapter 10

Don't have much to say here except thank you to everyone who voted, commented, and/or fanned.
Your support is very appreciated!

Also, please point out any mistakes:)
------

Chapter 10

As Chase and I flew closer to the tower, I noticed there was an opening, like a black hole, on its side and a ledge that jutted out above the sea. Chase was heading right to it.

Chase stepped onto the narrow ledge, and I landed right beside him. A gust of wind blew past and pushed me off balance, but Chase caught my arm to steady me. I sent him a grateful look and folded my tired wings behind my back, shaking off a few white and green feathers.

"Hailey, before we go in, be warned that this tower can play tricks on you. I know the way for the most part so you need to follow me, all right?"

I nodded my assent and steeled my nerves.

"Stay close to me," he ordered, before stepping through the black hole.

I followed right behind him into the darkness. It struck me as odd that it was so dark, especially as there should be light filtering from the outside.

I bumped into Chase, who had stopped without my noticing.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Not your fault, I wanted to be sure you were following."

I felt his hand close around mine, and instantly felt a bit safer in the surrounding darkness.

We walked for a bit until a bright light reached us, hurting my eyes. As we got closer, I heard whispers and shuffling noises.

We entered a brightly lit room, and instantly the noise stopped. Three little men with palmed feet and green hair stared at us.

"I think I recognize you, now, don't I?" the first one cackled, inspecting Chase with his small protuberant eyes.

Chase cleared his throat. "Yes, I have been here before. I want to go to the door to the Kingdom of Aeolus."

One of the little men, who wore a yellow hat, squealed and scurried away in the shadow. I shifted my weight on my right foot uncomfortably.

The first one was still inspecting us curiously, and the second one just looked bored .

"The door to the Kingdom of Aeolus, is that right? I guess I can show you to it, can't I?" The first one mumbled, tugging his dirty green hair.

The other one jumped to attention. "Follow us!" He squealed.

Without any more warning, the two strange creatures dashed out of the room.

I was about to run after them, but Chase tugged my hand to stop me from leaving. He rubbed his face with his free hand tiredly.

"I followed them once. They ran around for an hour and ended up telling me they forgot where the door was."

I couldn't help a giggle at the thought of Chase running around trying to keep up with these funny little men. Even though they had palmed feet, they could run really fast.

"What a wonderful sound!" a voice piped up from below me. I looked down to see the third creature peeking from behind my leg.

Surprised, I let out a scream and hid behind Chase.

"That sound, not so much," the strange man said, rubbing his ears.

"Sorry," I said a hand on my furiously beating heart. "You... Surprised me a bit here." I moved away from Chase, not too proud to have hidden behind him at the first sign of possible danger.