Chapter 13

Hi guys!

Sorry this update is a few days late:/ But at least you get to find out something really important in this chapter!

I've had many different guesses as to what would happen with the king, and @HannahSamuel0 and @KarenReilly were some of the few who guessed correctly, so good job!

Thank you to @TotalNerdyFreakkkk for the cover on the side!:)

Enjoy the chapter!

-----------------------

Chapter 13

"Hey, Hailey! Hey, Autumn!" Chase greeted us.

"Hey, Chase!" Autumn replied with a wide smile. My response was a little more nervous, and Chase seemed to pick up on that as he said, "Don't worry, Hailey, you'll be fine."

"Aw, Hailey, I thought I made it clear you had nothing to worry about!" Autumn said. "Who knows, it might even be Miss Lynn you'll be talking to."

"Yeah, you're right. I don't know why, I can't help feeling a bit nervous though," I answered.

"Um, Autumn, I don't know where you got that from, but sorry, Hailey, we're going to go talk to the king, not Lynn," Chase said.

"Seriously?" Autumn asked. Then, she sighed. "Right, of course you'd manage to have an interview with the king himself," she said, amused.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Chase said with a teasing look.

"All right, so there's no chance I'm seeing someone other than the king?" I interrupted. For some reason, I felt a bit irritated that they were chatting so easily together, like old friends, while I was mentally getting ready to seeing the king of the Winged Kingdom of Aeolus in person. I reprimanded myself for my irritation.

Come on, Hailey, leave Chase alone, he already brought you all the way here and is going with you to see the king. Your nervousness is not his problem, let him enjoy some time with his friends.

"The king said he wanted to see you as soon as possible, so yeah, that implies he will be here in person." He turned to Autumn." See, I'm not the one getting an interview with the king, Hailey is!"

Autumn laughed, "Alright, I get it. Now go, or Hailey will be late to her interview."

I sprang up. "Come on, Chase, if we arrive late we'll just be starting off on the wrong foot, and I kind of want to avoid that."

"As much as I want to tell you to chill because the king isn't going to eat you, you're right. I would rather avoid knowing the consequences of bringing you late to see the king, especially as I already delayed the meeting so you could rest."

He opened the door and let Autumn and me out. I gave Autumn a quick hug, before following Chase down the hallway.

We reached an archway guarded by two armed Winged. The two guards nodded at Chase and stepped aside without any of us having to say anything. After, we'd passed through, they resumed their position. Somehow they managed to look very serious all the time they were in my sight, although that looked like one of the most boring job you could ever have. Guarding a doorway that you let anybody through anyway, how exciting.

As we hurried through yet another hallway, Chase told me, "His Majesty is waiting for us in his office. I think he didn't want to use the throne room, so you'd feel more comfortable."

I nodded gratefully. If the king was nice enough to meet me in his office instead of what I assumed would be a large, impressive room, then surely I had nothing to worry about, right? But as much as I tried to convince myself that this meeting was not such a big deal, a feeling in the pit of my stomach refused to agree.