[15]

-Izaya's POV-

The first thing I feel as I gain consciousness is a searing pain in my head and a sharp pain in my shoulder. Well, at least I know I'm alive, hell is probably a lot more painful. I try opening my eyes, there is a searing white light but I can soon make out a tiled ceiling. Doesn't take much piecing together to know I'm in a hospital.

I look to my left to see something I should have expected but didn't. Shizu-chan is fast asleep on the side of my bed. Huh, his hair looks really fluffy. I reach out to touch it and let out a yelp of pain, that was stupid and I think I woke Shizuo up. He grumbles and looks up at me, awe he is so cute when he's sleepy.

"Izaya, you're awake," is that concern I hear in his voice?

"Shizu-chan I think I've been shot," I say.

He lets out a sigh of relief and shakes his head. "You were but I think your fine."

"Your hair is so fluffy," I giggle reaching up with my other hand.

"I'm gonna have to talk to your doctor about your pain medication."

I pout and keep trying to reach his head while trying not to move my other shoulder. He finally gives in though and circles around the bed and lays down with me and rests his head on my chest so I can play with his hair. It is nice for a few moments but I eventually feel tired and fall asleep.

*Time skip brought to you by Izaya is alright!*

I'm woken up a few hours later by a visit from Shinra and Celty. They fill me in on what happened after I was shot. I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get to get revenge by myself but it's nice to know people have my back, even if it was probably just for Shizuo.

Shinra is currently eating my pudding, hospital food is absolutely disgusting and I've already annoyed half the nurses, not to the point of poisoning but I don't take my chances.

"You should have seen Shizuo, he was about to go on a murder spree," Shinra says.

"Oh really?" I grin at Shizuo.

He just grunts with his arms crossed, awe what a tough guy.

Celty types on her phone and shows it to me. "It's true though, I had to hold him back the entire time."

A feeling of pride fills my chest, what did I do to deserve this man. Maybe trying to kill each other is the best way of flirting with someone. Kids, take notes.

They leave after a little while and Kyohei and his gang stop by a couple hours later. The doctor eventually kicks them out because of how noisy the two otakus were being. He informs me that my shoulder is healing well although I'll probably feel it for the rest of my life. Maybe Shizuo can teach me some of that superhuman healing. He says I can go home tomorrow which is good because I'm about ready to stab someone. What? Hospitals are boring.

I flop back onto my bed and immediately regret it with the pain shooting down my arm.

"Ugh," I groan massaging my arm.

"You need to be careful," Shizuo says.

"Shut up I'm in pain," I stick my tongue out.

He just rolls his eyes and sits back down on the chair.

The next morning we check out and Shizuo insists on pushing my wheelchair. No one shot my legs, they still work. Once we get back to my apartment I'm eager to get back to work but no, Shizuo insists that I need more bedrest.

"I think you're taking this overprotective boyfriend thing too far," I say as he picks me up and sets me on the couch.

"Well I don't think so," Shizuo says grabbing me a blanket and pillow.

I try to sneak away to my computer but he stops me by grabbing my  arm, on my uninjured side.

"Just please," he says.

"Why?" I question, why does he sound guilty?

"Because this is my fault and I need to know your going to be okay," he says, oh gosh, insecure boyfriend was not something I expected.

I yank my arm away and instead drag him over to the couch and sit him down.

"Alright, first off this is not your fault don't be an idiot. The only one at fault was the that kid, human nature, fate, whatever. Two, I can handle myself, I run into this kind of stuff all the time. Just because I can't heal like you doesn't mean I'm fragile. I do appreciate your concern but I'm fine, I really am."

He kind of just stares at me for a moment and then nods. "Fine," he says.

I don't know if that means he agrees or that he just heard me. "You know what, if you make me tea I'll agree to not do any work today and let you cuddle me."

He immediately goes to the kitchen, I roll my eyes and turn on the tv. He comes back a few minutes later and hands me my tea. I crawl onto his lap and he holds me tightly being careful of my shoulder. All things considered despite being shot, this whole thing has been quite nice.