Chapter 1: Breaking But Not Broken

"Ethan no!" I tackled him to the ground as he growled out loudly

"Ethan no!" I tackled him to the ground as he growled out loudly. My heart was still breaking and the non-existent wind was still blowing through the limbs of the tree. I felt like it was time for us to go though. I knew it was. I had that feeling that I had before, it showed us all it was going to that night. "Ethan please, listen to me–"

"I'm going to kill him," he growled out as he tried to wrestle me off of him.

"I know, I know you are but we can't right now, you know that!" Ethan growled fiercely as I tried to pin him down, but his fury was hard to get a handle on.

I understood. I understood well. I wanted Thomas' throat, as did my beast. She was ready to run with her mate to find the traitor and have his flesh in her mouth.

Ethan wrestled me off of him and started to sprint to the forest as our bond howled out in pain, but I tackled him down again as tears streamed down my face. "Baby, we can't please–"

"Charlotte," he flipped over so I was under him. His eyes were blazing with a similar bloodlust that Levi's had in that vision. I shivered as I reached for his face, reached for him, for my mate. "You cannot tell me that after what we just saw that we are going to let him breathe the air on this land for another day!?"

"Baby please, please listen to me. You said yourself we need proof, we need something solid for the pack. Telling people we saw him do it because a tree showed us is not something solid–" I wanted to finish my thought but my voice broke as a wave of pain washed over the bond.

"Charlotte," he said on the cusp of a sharp breath. "He killed them, he killed my family–" he bit back a sob and looked at me through eyes that were about to crack open with tears.

I pushed back my own and nodded. "I know, I know. Please, come home. Let's go home and we can sort through it, ok? Please Ethan, please just come home?"

He let out a long breath. I cocked my head and knew that I was winning this battle. I blinked hard and thanked the damn moon. I squirmed out from under him then pulled at his arm a little. "Baby come on, please come home," I whispered to him again while the tree seemed to sway some more, like it was waving us away.

"Ok," he breathed out shakily.

I let out a sigh of relief and nodded again. Ethan got up slowly and looked back at the tree one last time; the blood was still swirling around, but it seemed to be settling. I had a feeling the next time I would see that tree it would be under much different circumstances.

It wasn't that I wasn't with Ethan, but I knew that if Ethan run down there now that it would not be good for us or the pack. Spewing that Thomas was the one that ripped this pack apart ten years ago because of a tree that whispered to us is enough in the human world to get you locked up somewhere with some nice padded walls. While I knew it was different here, we needed solid proof. We needed to protect the pack and give them actual evidence so we could have a satisfying just ending for all parties. Right now it could send people into a frenzy, and we needed to protect them even if it hurt us.