Chapter 49: The Artist

Ethan and I were not even sure what to make of all of it. Evan was pretty pissed, to say the least, as was I; well, actually I was more disappointed than anything else. I could see the guilt in Barrett and Derek's eyes, but that didn't help to ease how I felt–it was like someone ripped open what looked like perfect skin to reveal a nasty infection.

"What do you think?" I asked as I kicked my shoes off at the door.

Ethan shook his head as he marched into our kitchen. "I think I need more whiskey."

I walked over to him as he reached up for two glasses and wrapped my arms around his waist. Sighing, he set the glasses down then turned around and pulled me closer into him. "If I ever meet this Dominic of Alex's, then I am pretty sure he will get one hell of an ass beating."

"Sounds like he more than deserves it," I grumbled against his chest.

Ethan dipped down and kissed the edge of my jaw while he pushed some hair out of my face. "I don't know what to think baby."

"I know," I breathed out. "This is all so screwed up."

He nodded as a small knock on the door broke up our moment. Ethan immediately had me behind him before he marched towards the door; his wolf shaking his fur out and his blood humming a little louder. Pulling back the curtain, he seemed to deflate slightly. "It's just Evie."

Ethan opened the door and the little vampire zipped right over to me and threw her arms around my neck with water eyes. "I'm so sorry, please don't hate me. I know it's all screwed up but I can't bare the thought of you hating me."

"Evie," I sighed out as I hugged her back. "I can't say it's alright, because it's not, but I do still care for you. I never thanked you for taking care of me this last week."

She wiped her eyes then waved me off. "Oh, it wasn't that bad."

Ethan scoffed and shook his head. Evie let out a long breath then shrugged. "Ok maybe it was a little hellish, but I've had worse."

"Worse?" My brows rose as she nodded quickly.

"The bloodlust when Barrett first turned me, it was so horrible. For the first twenty or so years, he kept me up in a cabin in the woods somewhere in Canada. Good thing too, I wanted the blood of anything with a pulse. It felt like forever before I could control it; it was awful–painful."

"I'm sorry," I breathed out.

She shrugged. "I get to live the rest of my days with him so I suppose twenty years in the grand scheme of things isn't so bad, although I am furious with him right now."

Ethan poured some whiskey into a glass and gave her a sympathetic smile. "No one's perfect and if you ask me, he looked pretty beat up over all of it."

"Well, he can beat himself up a little more," she said lowly. "I never liked Dominic. Arrogant and always with what seems like a harem of women."

Ethan walked to me and kissed my neck. "It's not going to do you any good to hold a grudge. Want a drink?"

She shook her head. "I should go find him before he has a large pity party without me."

There was another knock. Ethan took another sip while he suppressed a groan. "Guess we're popular today."

"Guess so," I echoed.

Derek was waiting at the door with a timid smile. "Can I come in?"

"Course, we don't hate you, you idiot," Ethan said as he stepped aside.

"Ethan," I warned lowly.

"I better go," Evie said from next to me. She hugged me again before she zipped to Ethan who she hugged as well. "Can we still go shopping?"