Chapter 23: Stayin' Alive

"Baby, whatever you do, do not drink the tea."

His voice rushed through my brain as the cup that held the tea, smelling of lavender and vanilla, hit my lips.

I dropped it.

I dropped it and jumped up as the hot water burned my skin and the cup landed on the ground.

Lucy had offered Lyanna and I tea; at first, I was apprehensive to say the least. I was apprehensive, but I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want the damn tea, but she insisted.

She insisted that bitch...

I decided to take it and just pretend that I was taking sips, hoping that I could pour some out into the little flower plant next to me when she wasn't looking.

The tea.

"Char! Shit!" Lyanna rushed out.

"Sorry," I bit out as my skin ached where the water hit it. "It was really hot, I was just being clumsy."

"Here dear," Lucy said as she handed me a cool rag. "Try to pat it down as gently as you can."

I met her green eyes and it was everything I had not to rip them out. I nodded and started to press the cool cloth against my skin. Lucy handed Lyanna one too; Lyanna pressed it against a part of my arm that was already red and bubbling where the water had burned it.

"Did Evan?"

"Yes," she rushed out. "What do we do?"

"We have to leave, we need an out," I replied as my wolf paced nervously. "Ryder?"

"Ghostrider we are en route to you. T-minus five, stay put and stall."

"I don't know if we have that long Ryder," I replied while Lucy filled up a glass of water.

"Here sweetie," she said, offering the water to me with a kind smile.

I felt sick. I wanted to go throw the pie up.

Shit.

What if she put something in the pie? I prayed to the moon she didn't. I felt fine for now and that pie had been in my belly for a while, if it was poisonous, then it should have worked by now. Right?

I wasn't sure but I prayed hard that it was just a normal slice of chocolate pie.

"Are you ok?" Lucy asked.

I nodded as my skin slivered a bit when Lyanna pressed a cloth against it. "I'm so sorry Lucy, I was just being careless."

She smiled and waved it off. "Don't worry Char, it happens. It was an accident," she chuckled out.

"What's so funny?"

She shrugged. "You remind me so much of Margaret at times."

"How's that?" Lyanna replied.

All night Lucy had been nothing but pleasant. Emmett wasn't home, apparently he was out with the other warriors. Lies.

But Lucy fed us pie and chatted with us a little. We tried to poke and prod her for information but she played naive like she had no idea. She acted shocked at some of it like she couldn't believe her ears when we told her small things that we knew would have no consequence for her to hear.

She helped have her own pups killed.

Lies. They spilled out of her mouth like a natural flowing river with the fake tears she almost wept. I wanted to pluck her eyes out so she would have no more eyes to wipe as she 'sorry girls, I just get a little emotional over it.'