Chapter 48: Truths

"We need to talk to them."

"Who sunshine?"

"The vampires," I said with firm eyes.

Ethan and I had left Lusa and made it back to our house at dusk. Andrea and Jaxon did not come out of their room, but we didn't expect them to. They needed time to themselves to both break and heal. Jake was disappointed, but his mother had made him and Ryder his favorite pot of chili which seemed to lift his spirits–and ours. Mama Debbie was one hell of a cook, although I would never say that in front of Derek.

"Agreed," he breathed out. "We should also check on Becker."

"Should we bring food over?"

"What do you want to bring?"

"I don't know, I could make brownies or something?"

Ethan kissed my temple. "Bring the mix and the booze, I am sure Derek will probably enjoy baking them more anyways."

I nodded in agreement. "True."

Derek did like that we brought brownie mix over and wine. He actually said that he preferred it since he was particular about his brownies, which just made Ethan and I both exchange sly smiles.

Becker seemed to be doing alright. I hugged him and gave him my condolences. I didn't know him or his brother that well, but I couldn't imagine losing a sibling like that–especially a twin. A twin he had spent over four hundred years with; it was heartbreaking and made my wolf whine lowly for him.

"I don't know what your customs are, but we can build him a pyre with the others?" Ethan offered.

I poured some whiskey over ice in two glasses for Ethan and Barrett while Evie sat next to Becker and rubbed his back. He sighed then gave Ethan a half smile. "I never thought about that before."

"About what?"

"What to do with his body–what we would do with our bodies. I guess with being what we are we never really thought about death."

"No one is truly invincible," Derek mused while he mixed the brownie batter as Elliot nodded in agreement.

"A pyre is what you do here?" Becker asked.

Ethan nodded while I carried over two glass. Barrett took his glass with a warm wink before I handed Ethan his. "Becker, do you want anything?"

"Whiskey would be lovely if you don't mind?"

"I don't at all, Evie?"

"Just whiskey as well for me Char," she said with a soft smile.

Barrett chuckled. "She's my whiskey girl that one," he said while tipping his glass to Evie.

Ethan rolled his eyes into his glass. "At least she doesn't drink all of yours."

"Hey!" I teased while Elliot laughed lightly to himself.

He looked at Ethan then back at me. "I have some better stuff stored away, want that?"

I kissed his cheek then walked over to the cabinets to pull out a few glasses. "Obviously."

Derek shook his head while Ethan rolled his eyes before he looked back at Becker with a soft smile. "Sorry we got a little off course, but yes, we built up pyres and light them. The ashes left over are yours to keep and do what you please with them."

Becker nodded. "Is there a ceremony?"

"Yes," Ethan said into his glass.

Becker mused for a moment while I filled three glasses with ice as Elliot pulled out a bottle in a black velvet bag. "I think that he would like that. Perfect amount of theatrics mixed with tradition."