Chapter 20: The Hawk

"What about a third party? How do we not know they are onto us?" Ethan asked Levi as the others entered into the barn.

Levi looked at me warily then back at Ethan. "We don't. If they are inner circle, then they know almost everything, the question we need to be worried about is 'Why?' If they know you're about to challenge Thomas, why not tell him. They could have done it a while ago and they haven't. Why?"

Ethan flickered his eyes to me then back to Levi. "You have any ideas?"

Levi wiggled his head back and forth. "Some, but nothing worth anything. Lander and I both agree that to this person Thomas is dispensable."

"Maybe he wants you to take him out, Ethan?" I thought out loud.

Ethan chewed on his bottom lip and nodded. "Maybe. There are too many damn maybes."

"Let's grill Tate first, then Larissa. You two go home, comb through that box and then let's see if we can put anything together, ok?"

"Sounds good uncle. Did you wolfsbane him?" Ethan replied before wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Yap, him and Larissa. The first thing they did when they got him, they just gave Larissa another dose not too long ago. He isn't linking anyone," Levi replied.

"Wolfsbane?" I asked.

"It's a poison for us. Not as harsh as silver, we can tolerate small amounts, but enough will weaken you," Ethan explained. "Tate's got enough right now to stop him from linking with whoever he's working for, so we don't have to worry about him calling for help or spooking anyone."

We started to walk a few steps toward the barn when Levi flickered his eyes to Ethan. There was this sense of pride and nostalgia in them as he watched the two of us for a few moments.

He sighed and gave Ethan a half smile. "How do you feel Ethan?"

Ethan pulled me a bit tighter to him as his blood sizzled slightly. "Good," he breathed out. "He's ready, he's been ready for a while. I am too."

Levi nodded knowingly to him. "You're ready Ethan, my girl is too. Jaxon's right, we need to do this soon."

"I won't do it without you," Ethan replied. "His throat is just as much yours."

"Yes but that pack is your's boy, yours to fight for," Levi replied before we walked into the barn.

"Do you want a run at him?" Lander asked.

Levi shook his head. "Let these two go first."

"You sure?" Ethan asked.

Levi nodded. "It's your pack, Ethan, it's your's to handle."

Ethan nodded to him then remove his hand from my waist and took my hand instead. "Which cop do you want to be sunshine? Good cop or bad cop?"

"Bad cop, obviously," I replied dryly while Lander chuckled at us.

Andrea was standing with Jake, Jaxon, and Caden in front of Larissa's cell, gazing at her with a bloodlust that made my own mouth water. I turned as Remi opened the cell door for us.

Tate was tied down to a chair and snarling at David who was watching him from the corner. I walked over to a corner opposite of David and crossed my arms while Ethan moved in front of Tate.

He was much more wirey this close-up than I remembered him. He looked almost malnourished like all he lived off of was cigarettes, cocaine, and coffee.

He snapped his gaze to me then to Ethan and flashed his teeth. Ethan didn't budge though. His beast stepped forward slowly and eyed the male in front of him before Ethan leaned against the cell wall opposite of Tate.