Chapter 10: More Layers

The warriors all left, bidding us a good night, and leaving the three of us in a kitchen that was starting to smell like manicotti

Evan's belly rumbled which made a tiny smile tug at my lips. "Want to stay for dinner Ev?"

He shook his head. "Lyanna's got supper going already and she wants to cut my damn hair."

Ethan laughed a little and rolled his eyes. "It's a little long brother."

"Your's is getting long too," I added.

Evan let out a breath laugh and then kissed me on the cheek. "Well don't butcher his head too much," he teased before waving goodbye to us as he let himself out.

The oven beeped, startling me from my thoughts; I tossed on some oven mitts and pulled the pan of carby goodness out while Ethan continued to lean on the counter.

"It needs to cool a little," I said, my tone testing the waters that were tense around him. "That went very well?"

He nodded. "Justin's an asshole, but a good wolf who needs to be put in line every now and then."

I sat down on a barstool and bit at my lip before flickering my eyes to him. He looked up at me as his frustration from earlier peaked forwards. "Aaron could be playing you. It's dangerous Char, it's too damn dangerous."

"I don't disagree with you," I replied. "But, I have a gut feeling that he wasn't. Ethan, there's a reason he goes from being a scared pup to an arrogant bastard. He's covering something up, but I don't think it's what we think. I think there's more, I think he's terrified of something. I don't know what it is, but I really do think he feels guilty about everything."

"Baby that is just wishful thinking. Now we have to worry about Thomas knowing that you lied to him–"

"Arron said he doesn't and I believe him Ethan. I think he was sincere. Listen, just because he has shitty parents, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. He could very well not be in the know."

"Charlotte," he replied as calmly as he could, but his frustration was hard to hide. "He's a bad seed. A seed I don't want you around. It's too damn dangerous."

"Ethan, we don't know that for sure. There's more to it and we are idiots to not try to peel back the layers. We don't have time to play it safe, we have to take risks. I don't think he told Thomas, which means we have a chance to keep a cool on everything and continue to poke him for information."

"Unless Thomas is onto us and good at hiding it," Ethan added, his voice was growing more frustrated; blood simmering and popping at the conversation.

"Well did you talk to him today? With me, he seemed to be buying it." Ethan snarled and looked down while I sighed in frustration. "You didn't talk to him, did you?"

"I can't even think about him without wanting to rip his throat out. It's hard enough that I can smell him in that damn pack house," he growled out.

"You think it was easy for me? The whole time I talked to him I wanted to kill him! You have to bite the bullet Ethan, you have to push your feelings aside and do what you have to.