Chapter 37: Blue Haired Devil

"They're late," Helen grumbled from beside me.

I sighed into my coffee, the events of the last day heavy on my mind. After lunch we went back talk more about logistics; pooling resources, men, and connections we could reach out to so we could find out more. However, that wasn't what was heavy on my mind; all yesterday afternoon the conversation would drive back to a potential scouting trip to the north. A scouting trip that made me feel uneasy with dread.

My beast and I wanted our male close to us, we didn't want him where we couldn't link him or know that he was alright. I took another sip and prayed that we wouldn't have to, that these damn witches would know something more.

"You don't sound like you're a fan?"

She shook her head as Derek zipped up to us. He eyed Helen and me then sighed. "What's got you all worked up?"

"These damn bats are late," she hissed out.

"They're always late," Derek added.

Helen took another sip then leaned back on the step we were sitting on in the front of the packhouse; the morning fog was beginning to settle amongst the dewy grass in the valley as the day started to come forward.

"It's not that I don't like them–"

Derek snorted. "Come on Helen..."

"Fine, I don't like them," she replied dryly.

"Why's that?"

"They're just annoying as hell and have a hard time with boundaries," she drawled out lowly. "Their coven line is strong, and they do have a great amount of power amongst them. Their coven line extends directly from Ariel, one of Aurora's three daughters. Honestly, if they weren't for one powerful and second, if they were not part of that coven, then I doubt Leo or Alex would mess with them."

"Levi and Lander seem to dislike them," I added.

Helen laughed sardonically and nodded. "That's an understatement. One year at a council meeting I saw Eve almost rip Ragna's head off. They've always been in love with the Thorne brothers. Poor Levi and Lander, they don't deserve that kind of torture."

"Everyone is in the house Char," Evan said as he walked out to us.

"Good," I said into my mug.

"I also just talked to Ryder, said they picked them up, he also said they are um, well–a lot to say the least."

"We need to keep an eye on Levi and Lander," I added.

Evan nodded. "We can try but it sounds like it may not work."

We chatted some more on the steps, my patience wearing a little more thin when we saw the gator vehicles driving out from the tree line with three women in the backseat and a pile of trunks and luggage in the bed.

"What the?" I breathed out.

"Sunshine?" Ethan walked to me where I stood, slipping an arm around my waist. "That's them?"

I nodded. "Seems like it."

"Holy hell, how much luggage did they bring for one day?" he grumbled.

I groaned then walked with Ethan down the steps as they approached. Ryder looked tired as he drove forward and gave me a tight smile when he parked the car.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to get the hell out of here Ghostrider."

"Everything ok?"

"I think one took a lock of my hair."

Ethan and I froze then snapped our vision to the three women fumbling to get out of the car while Ryder walked away, his feet apparently not moving fast enough for his liking.