6| Peter Maximoff - Don't Break My Heart

You were sat comfortably on the couch of the living room when Peter slumped into the cushions next to you.

"Whatcha doin'?"

His arms crossed behind his head, he waited for your answer.

"My homework."

"Boring." In a fraction of seconds, he had snatched your notebook and pencil out of your hands and had reappeared next to you, a mischievous grin on his lips. You complained loudly but he brushed it off. "Let's do something fun. Just you and I."

His grin was contagious and you found yourself smiling back at him. "Like what?"

Peter had always good and crazy ideas. Plus, you had already spent two hours working; you could indulge yourself with some free time.

"Well, did I ever tell you I have a private bedroom?"

You frowned slightly. Peter was your friend, a good friend, but recently he had been making a lot of not so subtle innuendos to you and you were wondering what was going on with him. Staying true to yourself, you teased him back.

"Well, that's great. I'm sure Scott would love to have some fun in your room with you."

Peter smirked. "I'm sure he'd love to play with the video games I have, yes, but I was not talking about this kind of fun."

"Me neither." You answered playfully. "You two are spending so much time together in this bedroom one could wonder what you're doing."

Peter smiled. He loved the way you were constantly teasing him back. It was driving him crazy. At first, it had been more in a friendly way but for the past few months his feelings for you had grown a lot more romantic. It had startled him at first. You were his best friend. You had known each other for years. There was no way he would ever admit it to you but as the weeks passed he found harder to contain himself: he wanted to touch you and kiss you every single time he was with you. Even now, his eyes kept drifting towards your lips as you talked. He just could not help himself. And as hard as he was trying to get himself to speak his heart out, he always ended up making some inappropriate jokes.

"I'm sure Scott won't mind if I have some fun with you." He finally said.

His dark eyes were playful and a smirk was dancing across his lips. You had seen this expression on his face many times: when he was flirting with girls. You felt your heart racing in your chest. You wanted to be with him badly and for some time now but you also knew it was a bad idea. Sure, he was a great guy, funny, charming and so on but he was also a smooth talker. He had charmed a lot of girls over the years and broke just as many hearts. He had never settled with anyone and at this thought, your smile vanished. If you kept going like this you would be the next one to have your heart broken by him.

"I think I'll continue my homework."

Peter's smile faded at your serious almost sad tone. He frowned slightly. What had he said to make you react like that? Peter sat straight next to you, rubbing the back of his head nervously.

"I'm sorry (Y/N). I was joking around."

Peter wanted to slap himself in the face. Why couldn't he be honest with you?

"It's okay. I know you well." You answered, regretting your words as quickly as they left your mouth. It was as if you had hit Peter in the face. Every trace of playfulness had left him, replaced by a profound sadness. Afflicted, you apologized: "I shouldn't have said that, I'm sorry, Pete."

Peter shook his head, it did not matter. You knew him. You had seen him break up with dozens of girls; you were too smart to fall for him, or so he thought.

"Peter, talk to me, what's going on?"

Peter opened his mouth to answer but thought better of it. He wanted to tell you. But he knew you could not love him. Instead, he shook his head again and got up.

You grabbed his wrist before he could run away from you. You had never seen him so vulnerable.

"Tell me."

Peter must have seen something in your eyes because he sat down next to you and took your hand in his. He fiddled with your fingers for a moment before speaking:

"I know you'll never see me as more than just a friend but I can't pretend anymore." He frowned slightly before squeezing your hand in his. "Every time I watch a movie with you, I want to take you in my arms. Every time I wake up, I want to see you next to me. And every time I'm with you I want to kiss you." He stopped to let the words sink in and locked eyes with you. "I think what I'm trying to say is that I like you a lot (Y/N), and I'll be the happiest man in the world if you would give me a chance to prove how much I care about you."

Mouth slightly opened, you stared at him for a long time. Peter looked at you expectantly. You did not know what to say. You had never expected him to share your feelings. Lowering your eyes, you rubbed the back of your neck. You wanted to be with him.

"Don't break my heart." You finally whispered as you looked back at him.

Leaning toward him, you pressed your lips on his. One of Peter's hands quickly appeared on your neck, pulling you even closer and deepened the kiss. He could not believe it. Pulling your lips apart for a few seconds, he whispered:

"I won't."

His eyes, so genuinely sincere, you could only believe him.