20| Kurt Wagner - Midnight Game

"I had a sweet idea where the reader's mutations also gives them a form of insomnia so she's up a lot at night trying to find things to do by herself."

---

Bang.

You stopped dead in your tracks. A hand covering your mouth, you waited a few seconds, totally still. When you were confident no one would come investigate the noise, you picked the huge bag you had clumsily let fall on the floor up. As you were putting the strap on your shoulder, struggling because of the weight, you heard a noise behind you. Suddenly terrified by the stillness of the night and the darkness of the corridor, you hold your breath. Slowly and carefully, you pulled a golf club out of the bag and turned around rapidly, ready to hit the trespasser. The golf club high in the air, you stopped your movement when you heard the voice shouting at you.

"Don't! (Y/N), it's me! Kurt!"

You stared at the black figure in front of you and as your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you recognized Kurt, looking slightly terrified.

"Kurt, you're scared the shit out of me, what are you doing up at two am?" You asked him, putting the golf club back into the bag.

Kurt relaxed at the sight of your weapon disappearing and he answered:

"I vas thirsty. What about you?"

Looking at him, you could not see much of his features in the dark; his blue skin made it incredibly difficult, but one thing that was clearly visible was his eyes. So much so you wondered if he had the same ability as cats; that he could see in the dark. Kurt called your name and you shook your head, embarrassed he had caught you staring.

"I was... huh...I was going to play golf."

Kurt tilted his head. "Vhy?"

His tone was curious and non-judgmental and you smiled. He was always so genuinely interested in everything.

"I have insomnia most of the time because of my mutation, so I try to find ways to pass the time."

Kurt nodded and stared blankly at you for a few seconds before saying, a huge smile on his face: "You're zhe one making holes in zhe grass."

You laughed: of course it was you. When Scott had brought the subject up at lunch a few days ago, you had not said anything. Hearing your friends trying to find a reasonable explanation for that had been way too enjoyable.

"It took me a lot of time to make those holes, you know. I'm really proud of it."

You smiled at him, light hearted, and he smiled back. Your eyes locked for a few seconds and you felt something, deep inside your chest. Something you had never felt for him before. Slightly curious and wanting to know if it would happen again, you offered:

"Do you want to play with me? I have enough golf clubs."

Kurt did not waste time to think about it. He nodded enthusiastically and you led him to the garden. As you were walking, he kindly offered to carry the bag which you accepted gratefully.

It was still summer and the weather outside was great. You skirted the lake and stopped in the middle of a plains: your private golf course.

"The first hole is over there." You said gesturing toward it, two meters ahead of you. "It's the easiest. Go ahead."

You handed him a club and waited. Despite the darkness, you could see Kurt staring at the club in confusion.

"Have you ever played golf before?"