Chapter 1 - Heartbreak

Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Ten Years Ago~

Josie's POV

   I smiled as I stepped onto the balcony. "Hey babe." I greeted my fiancé.

   "Hey Josie." Landon said. He was standing by the railing, looking off into the distance.

   I walked over and stood beside him. "It's gorgeous out today." I commented.  "Hopefully we get this kind of weather for our wedding."

   Landon didn't look at me. "Josie." He said.

   I frowned and turned to look at him. "What?" I asked.

   "There isn't going to be a wedding." He said, turning to look at me.

   My eyes widened. "What? Why?" I asked, frantically thinking of anything I may have done wrong.

   "I'm moving to Paris tomorrow." Landon said.

   "But can't we get married like we planned next month and then I move with you?" I asked.

   Landon looked away. "Josie, it's over." He said, then walked back into the house.

   I felt tears start to stream down my cheeks as I stood on the balcony alone. I walked back over to the edge and looked around.

   "Well if it isn't Little Miss Perfect!" Someone sneered.

   "Go away Ida." I said.

   "Oh no, something went wrong! Little Miss Perfect's life not so perfect anymore?" Ira asked.

   I sighed. "Ida, can't you leave me alone for a couple hours?" I asked through my tears.

   Ira laughed. "There isn't anything else to do here." She said.

   "Then stay at your own home." I said.

   Ira sighed. "Oh Josie. There isn't anything to do there either!" She said, then left the balcony.

I sighed and wiped the tears off my face. My aunt never approved of me getting married this young anyway.

I walked back into the house, taking the quickest route to the kitchen. "Hey." I said.

"Hello dear." Aunt Mira said.

"Auntie Mira, could I please go out?" I asked.

My aunt sighed and looked at her watch. "You may. But be back by eight. And I will make sure your father knows your curfew." She said.

I smiled and grabbed my jacket. "Thanks Auntie!" I said, grabbing the keys to my brand-new car.

"Josie!" Aunt Mira called before I left.

"Yes Auntie Mira?" I asked, looking over my shoulder at her.

"Be careful. This town is a dangerous place for a teenager." She said.

"I'm eighteen, not thirteen. I can take care of myself." I said, then left the house.

   I got into my car and put the keys into the ignition. "I'm really going to do this." I said, then pulled out of the driveway.

   Five minutes later, I pulled into a travel agency, and parked the car. I stepped out of the car and walked into the agency.

   "How can I help you?" The man behind the counter asked me.

   "I'm moving to New York next week." I said, scarcely believing I was really going through with this.

   "Well, are you driving, or do you need to get a plane ticket? Are you looking for a house, an apartment or something else?" The travel agent asked.

   "A small apartment. One that allows dogs would be best." I said, my hands forming into fists as I thought about Landon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a bit of a prequel for you! Also, does anyone else hate Landon already?

My posting schedule for this book will be twice a week, one chapter on Tuesdays and one chapter on Thursdays!

Familiar Facesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें