Chapter 3 - Sleep

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josie's POV

   I rinsed my dishes, then set them on the counter by the sink.

   "Jo?" Kenny asked.

   I turned around and looked at him. "What?" I asked.

   "I hate to suggest this, but what if we got a roommate?" He asked.

   I picked up Lilac.

   "It would cut the rent in half. Then we could save more." Kenny said.

   I sighed. "I know. But I can't handle that." I said.

   Kenny nodded. "Alright." He said.

   I looked around the small, already crowed apartment. "We already payed this quarters rent, so we have this place for three more months at least." I said.

   "Hopefully I'll have a job by that time." Kenny said.

   I smiled. "Yea. And if you don't, worst case scenario we have to move in with your parents." I said.

   Kenny frowned at me, then took Lilac. "We will see about that." He said.

   "Kenny! Give my dog back!" I said.

   "She's my dog too, and you know it." Kenny said, then him and Lilac left the room.

   I laughed, then grabbed Kenny's dishes and rinsed them off too.

   I walked into my bedroom, then sighed when I saw Kenny and Lilac asleep on the bed.

   "So much for writing in my room." I said quietly. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my laptop, then walked out to the living room.

I pulled my once blond hair into a side ponytail, the sat down on the couch.

I started my laptop, then set it on the coffee table. I grabbed a bottle of sparkling water from the fridge, then started working.

~The Next Morning~

"Lilac stop it." I said, my eyes barely open.

"Come here girl, leave your momma alone." Kenny said, picking up the puppy.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up slowly.

"You fell asleep on the couch again." Kenny said.

I sighed. "I was working late. I think I'll be able to finish this book this week." I said.

   "Don't pull that on me." Kenny ordered.

   "Pull what?" I asked.

   "Josie, you fall asleep all the time. You need to go to the doctor if you aren't sleeping well." Kenny said.

   I sighed and stood up. "I'll get breakfast." I said, ignoring his request.

   It was Kenny's turn to sigh. "I would take you there myself if I didn't have an interview in-" Kenny looked at his watch and his eyes widened.

   "Two minutes! Bye Josie! Save my breakfast for later!" He called as he ran out the door of our apartment.

   I smiled and looked over at Lilac. "He's a funny one isn't he?" I asked, grabbing a frying pan out of the cabinet.

   Lilac walked over to me and lay down by the stove.

   I laughed. "You aren't getting any bacon." I said, opening the package and putting four pieces of bacon in the frying pan.

   Lilac cocked her head and let out a small whine.

   I looked over at her, frowning. "Why does your father encourage begging?" I asked. "I'm going to put a stop to that."

   Lilac just started at me, then at the pan, then back at me.