Chapter 18 - Drawing

You can't cross the sea by just standing and looking at the water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josie's POV

   "What's your dog's name?" Ida asked as I clipped Lilac's leash onto her collar.

    "Lilac. She's a Jack Russell terrier." I replied.

   Ida nodded. "I always wanted a dog when I was growing up." She said.

   I laughed. "Aunt Mira would have had a fit if you had gotten one." I said.

   Ida laughed. "Yeah, she's so different from my real mom." She said.

   I looked over at her. "Do you remember what your parents were like?" I asked.

   Ida shrugged. "Yes and no. I read my mother's diary all the time, so I guess that's how I remember her. I remember Mira and Daddy's wedding, and then I remember Daddy being sick." She said.

   "I wish my mother had written a diary. I only have vague memories of her, and I don't remember what my father was like before..." I trailed off.

   "Before his heart was broken." Ida softly finished for me.

   I nodded, trying not to cry.

   "We really are alike in many ways." Ida said.

   I smiled. "It would have been nice if you would have realized that all those years ago." I said softly.

Ida nodded, looking down.

"Thanks for everything." I said as we walked into my driveway.

Ida hugged me. "Thank you." She whispered, then got into her car.

I smiled, then picked up Lilac and walked into the house.

Kenny looked up from the table where he and Missy were coloring. "Was that Ida?" He asked.

I frowned. "How did you know that?" I asked, setting Lilac down and unclipping her leash.

"That was her car." Kenny replied, picking up a marker.

I sighed. "I'm not even going to ask how you were able to recognize my cousin's car." I said, sitting down beside Missy.

"I'm coloring Lilac." She said, showing my her drawing.

I smiled. "That's a pretty good drawing Missy." I told her.

"Thanks." Missy said, then grabbed a pink marker.

"Well, Kenny, I hope you're making dinner because in not in the mood for grilled cheese and tomato soup." I said.

Kenny chuckled. "Don't worry, it's in the oven." He replied, handing me a piece of paper.

I selected a red marker and drew a heart.

"Josie." Missy frowned at me.

"Yes?" I asked, grabbing a orange marker and drawing another heart inside the first.

"Mommy said people need to 'challenge their creativity'." She said.

I grabbed a yellow marker and drew another heart in the middle of the other two.

"You're one of those people." Missy told me.

I shrugged as I grabbed the green marker. "I only know how to draw one thing." I said, adding a green heart in the middle of the first three.

"That's sad." Missy commented.

"Yes it is." Kenny agreed.

I glared at him and took his blue marker. "You're suppose to be nice to me." I said, drawing another heart.

"Yeah Daddy." Missy said, handing me the purple marker.

I smiled. "Thanks." I told her as I finished my rainbow heart.

Missy shook her head as she looked at my drawing. "I'm going to teach you how to draw puppies." She decided.

Kenny chuckled. "This I've got to see." He said.

I glared at him again. "Go work on dinner." I ordered, then turned to Missy, ready for my drawing lesson.